bore size

kacy

How is a shotgun bore size determined?, is a 410 a 20 bore? if so are they any good for clays as my dear old dad needs a light gun to shoot with

UMMM, NO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A 20 bore is good on the clays, some people use 28 bore's on clays.

A 28 bore is more like a .410 (Power Wise) rather than a 20 bore mate.

Bore size is a measure of barrel diameter .410 is about 67 gauge, 28 and 20 are more standard gauges ( mainly for game) but 12 gauge is the defacto for clays, a lightweight 12 O/U ( SxS tend to be lighter and my dad prefers the SxS to O/U) or a light semi auto may be a good option as little recoil and some very light semis on the Market. 20 bore semi or O/U are an option but carts more expensive find a dealer with a clay ground on site or nearby and try a few Franchi make some lovely light O/U and semi's which may be suitable

Edited by HDAV

Try ..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(bore_diameter)

A 410 is about a 67 bore .... equivalent!

have a search on PW .. there are several threads on lite loads / lite guns for youngster .... same principle for oldsters .. just add "experience"

Edited by seeker

Bore size is based on the number of spherical balls of lead that fit the barrel and equal one pound by weight.ie a 4 bore is 4 quite large balls of lead...a 28 bore quite small..This applies to all 'bores/gauges' EXCEPT 410 which is .410 of an inch in diameter.

Personally would avoid the .410 in your situation,expensive to feed and quite a handicap/specialized weapon to shoot well.

20 bore with 24/25g shells would be my choice.

anything is good on clays/target species if you can shoot it.

what is he planning on shooting?

I spent 6 years shooting a single barrel 410 as a kid, clays, pheasants etc

Moved on to a 20 bore aged 14 and stuck with it for 15 years. clays, pheasants, pigeons duck and rabbits none of them know the difference between 12 and 20 bore.

get you dad to try some different ones out at a clay club.