Scope - Shmidt & Bender

huffhuff

Hi guys,

Currently have a Nikko Sterling 6x24x44 scope but I have **** eyeseight all of a sudden and this scope doesn't really soak up enough light when out lamping. It is great during the day, just no good for me in low light conditions.

So, I am looking to upgrade. Possibly to a shmidt & bender. Willing to pay, and can even offer a cheapy side-by-side as part payment with cash if that's a sweetener!

Cheers

Ben

Hi guys,

Currently have a Nikko Sterling 6x24x44 scope but I have **** eyeseight all of a sudden and this scope doesn't really soak up enough light when out lamping. It is great during the day, just no good for me in low light conditions.

So, I am looking to upgrade. Possibly to a shmidt & bender. Willing to pay, and can even offer a cheapy side-by-side as part payment with cash if that's a sweetener!

Cheers

Ben

Coming over to the Dark Side! (or light side if you like) you wont regret it! if i see any i will send you the link to them!

:good:

have a look at what Meopta offer, bad time to say it but I wouldn't put an 8x56 on an HMR if you were thinking along those lines ;) and once you go variable in any of the decent makes you are talking about a lot of money. Well worth it on a bigger rifle but a bit much to put on an HMR.

have a look at what Meopta offer, bad time to say it but I wouldn't put an 8x56 on an HMR if you were thinking along those lines ;) and once you go variable in any of the decent makes you are talking about a lot of money. Well worth it on a bigger rifle but a bit much to put on an HMR.

Can i ask why Al4x? lol

works fine on mine.... :unsure:

I just like more magnification when going for head shots at 100 yards, at night bunnies look very small at 8mag under the lamp. Especially when what you are looking at is baby bunnies like this week. Bit like trying to shoot bumble bees which of course I wouldn't do.

I just like more magnification when going for head shots at 100 yards, at night bunnies look very small at 8mag under the lamp. Especially when what you are looking at is baby bunnies like this week. Bit like trying to shoot bumble bees which of course I wouldn't do.

Ok so its just a magnification issue for you.

i find its quite handy for range finding at night (not that you need to worry to much)

anyway enough of high jacking HuffHuffs thread!

I've got a 4-16 nikko sterling on mine and that is ideal magnification range, the plus point of the low mag is it gains a bit in low light. If you are after somewhere mid range Meopta seem to offer very good glass and a lot cheaper than the european glass

Well 90% of my shots are between 70-100 yards. With the odd shot over 100-120 yards, any further than that and I usually just walk closer as the bunnies are quite small in 8x mag. and you have to pick them up anyway, if you can't stalk a bunnie from 120 yards down to 100 or less your wearing the wrong aftershave !

I don't need to explain the difference in the bigger front lens and quality glass as you saw that from shooting mine that time.

Well 90% of my shots are between 70-100 yards. With the odd shot over 100-120 yards, any further than that and I usually just walk closer as the bunnies are quite small in 8x mag. and you have to pick them up anyway, if you can't stalk a bunnie from 120 yards down to 100 or less your wearing the wrong aftershave !

I don't need to explain the difference in the bigger front lens and quality glass as you saw that from shooting mine that time.

Yep, compared to minw, it was like somebody switched the sun back on :)

off the back of a pickup we just shoot them when we can see them hence the range issue but that seems to be magnified at night. Could really muddy the water by showing you my 6-24 swaro but that would be overkill on a HMR. Depends a lot when you shoot as under the lamp you can get away without the best optics as you can during the day. Last light is a tricky one but I'd suggest part of the issue is the 44 on yours I had probably the same scope and never got on with it. Whereas the 4-16x50 nikko sterling seems a lot better

Meopta Variable would be sensible... They almost cost new, what the price of a 2nd hand S&B 8x56 would set you back

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/2603/Meopta-Artemis-3-12-x-50/

Edit to say... I have meopta's, swaro's and S&B's here Ben if you want to come and take a look through them all.... I think the Meopta is easily as good as the others.

Edited by garyb

Meopta Variable would be sensible... They almost cost new, what the price of a 2nd hand S&B 8x56 would set you back

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/2603/Meopta-Artemis-3-12-x-50/

Edit to say... I have meopta's, swaro's and S&B's here Ben if you want to come and take a look through them all.... I think the Meopta is easily as good as the others.

Thanks garyb, I may well take you up on that offer. I'll have another bumble around and see what's about. Although, £500 is not really what I was wanting to pay. But then I guess you gets what you pay for!

Thanks garyb, I may well take you up on that offer. I'll have another bumble around and see what's about. Although, £500 is not really what I was wanting to pay. But then I guess you gets what you pay for!

you can spend as much as you like mate, and still miss lol !

could offer you a look through the next nikko sterling up if you want, the 56mm objective night eater. A pretty reasonable HMR scope I've a mate with 2 of them and one will be on my .223 shortly to try.

Ive heard good things on the Nikko's.

could offer you a look through the next nikko sterling up if you want, the 56mm objective night eater. A pretty reasonable HMR scope I've a mate with 2 of them and one will be on my .223 shortly to try.

Well i'm only down the road from you so would be good :)

Decisions decisions. Maybe I am actually just a blind **** and a **** shot!

It was your lamp that ran out of juice last night! Plus - i had a bigger bag that you! Ish

lol thank god for spare Batteries!

I think over the golf course i'm going to leave the .22 in bag and take the HMR with me! :good:

However the Ruger was Very quiet!

Aside from the quality of the glass, consider whether the reticle is ideal for rabbiting with a lamp. I have a Leupold LRT ( Long Range Target ) with the Varmint reticle on my HMR and it could do with the reticle being a bit thicker for lamping. It's very fine in the centre.

As I turn the dimmer up the outside part of the reticle is visible when the lamp is at amber, but the thin centre crosshairs need the lamp up a bit more to be clear, not ideal when he's loping along only stopping for a second or two.

Edited by Catweazle