243 SIERRA 85G SPITZER

went in other day (gun shop) to get some more heads running low!!! PAY £24.00 87g vmax not got none (just my luck all bad) they had some SIERRA 85G SPITZER so i took them made up some home loads rem primers /H4885 38g /sierra heads good group at 100and flat out to 200 went out with steve last nite foxing hit 1 at 165 made up how good these heads r and only £14.99

Sierra are a good bullet and at a very good price. I have used the 85grain soft points in 243 and found them to be very accurate. The 100gr Prohunters are also very accurate and have a devestating effect on deer without massive meat damage,even on Munties. I moved off the 85gr spitzers as I have a good supplier of Hornady V Max, the V max are maginally more accurate and being boat tailed are easier to load, I havent used them on larger deer yet but on Munties they can be a bit brutal and cause meat damage.

Sierra are a good bullet and at a very good price. I have used the 85grain soft points in 243 and found them to be very accurate. The 100gr Prohunters are also very accurate and have a devestating effect on deer without massive meat damage,even on Munties. I moved off the 85gr spitzers as I have a good supplier of Hornady V Max, the V max are maginally more accurate and being boat tailed are easier to load, I havent used them on larger deer yet but on Munties they can be a bit brutal and cause meat damage.

REDGUM you got a good supplier hornady v max we can,t get them for love nor money around here use mostly on foxing very flat the v max only got 11 left so put them to one side but spitzers devestated the fox the other nite not tried on deer yet

Edited by magnum

be interesting to know what they are like on deer, I'm looking for a decent deer bullet. 100 grain factory soft points seem pretty devastating without too much meat damage. having shot a munty with vmax and had the bullet go pretty much everywhere I'm not too keen on using them which means something for deer that is also good on foxes would be ideal as having to change zero for different bullets isn't ideal.

be interesting to know what they are like on deer, I'm looking for a decent deer bullet. 100 grain factory soft points seem pretty devastating without too much meat damage. having shot a munty with vmax and had the bullet go pretty much everywhere I'm not too keen on using them which means something for deer that is also good on foxes would be ideal as having to change zero for different bullets isn't ideal.

Try 95 grn Nosler balistic tip, only thing i have found reliable expanding on chest shot foxes and yet doesn't turn half the venison in the front half of a deer to blood, snot and goo. The only time it gets messy is if you take a shot on deer at very, very short range. Balistically they are exellent in all regards and shoot well in most std twist .243's

The last Muntie I shot was with 87gr VMax and it did the job but I think the 100gr sierra prohunters do a better job meat wise. I suppose thats the differance between a balistic tip and a soft nose, both bullets hit the same poa at 100yds which is good, the Vmax shoots flatter at 200yds. Just ordered some Hornady 100gr (2450) soft nose interlocks to see how they perform, advertised as good controlled expansion and interlock keeps the lead and jacket together.

The last Muntie I shot was with 87gr VMax and it did the job but I think the 100gr sierra prohunters do a better job meat wise. I suppose thats the differance between a balistic tip and a soft nose, both bullets hit the same poa at 100yds which is good, the Vmax shoots flatter at 200yds. Just ordered some Hornady 100gr (2450) soft nose interlocks to see how they perform, advertised as good controlled expansion and interlock keeps the lead and jacket together.

Dont be confused by the tip some balistic tip bullets are heavy penetrating type for big game, some are varmint type and some are perfect for deer. Unseens such as jacket thickness and base as well as the metalurgy are what matter not if it has a soft lead tip or not, this is just a generalisation. V-max are deffo varmint intended though and not generally a good choice for deer :good:

GOT HORNADY I00G INTERLOCKS (2450)COULD NOT GET TO GROUP STILL GOT 50 OR 60