Turned out better than we expected on the rape

caeser

I took Mike (limestonecowboy)along yesterday (24/03/11) for look to see what might be happening on the rape, or to see if there was anything on the drillings.

A few birds on the drillings but not a lot. On a few fields of rape though, there was a hell of a lot of pigeons. Still mainly in the big flocks ,but with a lot more than previously, breaking away.

Had a chat with the gamekeeper and one of the farmers, who pointed us to a field that was being hammered yesterday by the big flock.

After a bit of recceing, we set up at our chosen spot, and decided to put all the gizmo's out to attract the birds.

Watching the pigeons, there was loads sitting on the hedgrows, by where they were feeding, so we put loads on the hedgrow next to us.

Put all the decoys out that I had with me. Approx 30.

A bit slow to start, but once we'd shot 4 birds, out came the rotary, and 2 electronic flappers. Also note in the picture, the fishing pole with a floater on it.

Anyway once everything was flapping and spinning, the birds started to come in ,in 1's and 2's steadily for most of the day.

It was a red hot still day. Like the middle of summer.

There were some lulls when it went quiet, and also times when the big flock came over,and you couldn't get a shot in, they were easily spooked.

We ended up with well over 100 birds. We picked up 88 but certainly didn't find all the birds in the long rape. We were missing about another 40 birds. Some had crash landed a long way off, and also in a rape field behind us.

But what a great day though. Completely unexpected, we were expecting a quiet day with maybe 10 or 20 if we were lucky.

That lump of soil in the final picture, is actually a badger set. I bet we kept him awake all day down there. :rolleyes:

029.jpg

030-2.jpg

Edited by caeser

A big thanks to Ceaser for yesterday (sorry I didn't get on here earlier). :good:

What great day's shooting. :yes::yes:

I only took 100 carts thinking it would be a normal slow winter shoot.What a mistake! I had to borrow another 25 off Ceaser! It goes to show expect the unexpected! be prepared!

A long day but really really worth it, a good day's shooting, great weather, top company and also a great laugh. :lol: What more can you ask for?

Cheers Steve and thanks very much.

PS Ceaser took some great shots and killed, including a top "high" bird and a very swift "left & right!"

PPS Oh the cost of it all. £20, yes £20, talk about value for money, taxi there and back, use of all the best equipment, use of both experiernce and fieldcraft and extra cartridge supply!

(the latter I shall be re-imbursing via postman Pat)

Regards LSC

nice bag. :good: does the fishing rod floater work??? :hmm::good:

When I first put it out, I put it really high, and it spooked the birds badly. When I lowered it down to where it is in the picture, it worked perfectly, with birds coming in right by it.

The biggest problem with it is , it spins around slowly. I'll have to put some kind of vane on it to make it face into the wind. Or maybe a piece of fishing line with a weight from its beak anchored on the ground loosely. :hmm:

Edited by caeser

how did you have the wings spread out caeser?? did you pierce a piece of willow through and clip its wings on to it?? also how did you stop it from tipping to one side?? did you have 2 extra bits of line going to either side of its wings like this /\ and then tied onto willow stick, these are just my ideas iv thought of on how to do it. maybe you done the same. im quite fancying having a go. i like trying anything home made. :good::good:

cheers

lee

Edited by semiautolee

how did you have the wings spread out caeser?? did you pierce a piece of willow through and clip its wings on to it?? also how did you stop it from tipping to one side?? did you have 2 extra bits of line going to either side of its wings like this /\ and then tied onto willow stick, these are just my ideas iv thought of on how to do it. maybe you done the same. im quite fancying having a go. i like trying anything home made.

I've got to confess Lee, it was a plastic pigeon, weighted down with a sea fishing lead. :rolleyes:

:lol: good job tho i couldnt quite tell if it was a dead pigeon or plastic one from the photo. maybe if you try what i mentioned above it might not spin around as much as real and plastic are alot different in weight. :lol::good:

piece of willow cut to size and slits put in either end to clip wings open, 2 extra bits of line coming from main line like this.. /\ tied onto willow to stop it from tipping to one side or the other. and a piece of garden cane from the floor to its ar$e to stop it spinning around. gotta be worth a go... maybe a sunday job in the garden :good:

Edited by semiautolee

Good shooting Mike i am due out that way sunday i like the fishing rod idea is the end of the rod just stuck in the ground ? did it spook many? is it a carbon pole might be trying that now got a floater which should work.

i think the fishing rod is pushed into the hedge.....maybe i could be wrong tho :good:

Edited by semiautolee

Good shooting Mike i am due out that way sunday i like the fishing rod idea is the end of the rod just stuck in the ground ? did it spook many? is it a carbon pole might be trying that now got a floater which should work.

Actually my name is Steve. :rolleyes::lol:

It is a carbon pole, its either 10 or 11 metres, can't remember which. I also use it for lofting.

It's rested on the hedge with the butt in an indentation in the ground.

When I initially put it out, it was really high, with the bird about 12foot off the ground.

That seemed to spook them on this occassion, maybe because there was not much cover. Once I lowered it down, it worked a treat.

If there's a tall tree behind it works ok high up. :good:

How do you gugys get permission so far from home ?, may i ask are in a club ?.

No I'm not in a club. I've been shooting over there for about 15 years or so. Most of the land I shoot on is owned by 2 different ladies. One of whom I know really well. She owns approx 2000 acres. She has tenant farmers that I know well, and I've built up a reputation with them, and been recommended to others by them. Which is how I got to shoot on the 2nd ladies land.The 2nd lady also has about 2000 acres rented out to tenant farmers. Same situation really.

These things don't happen overnight, I've earned the respect and trust over years.

Edited by caeser

Actually my name is Steve. :rolleyes::lol:

It is a carbon pole, its either 10 or 11 metres, can't remember which. I also use it for lofting.

It's rested on the hedge with the butt in an indentation in the ground.

When I initially put it out, it was really high, with the bird about 12foot off the ground.

That seemed to spook them on this occassion, maybe because there was not much cover. Once I lowered it down, it worked a treat.

If there's a tall tree behind it works ok high up. :good:

Thanks steve my minds playing up old age you Knows hows it going :lol: Am out york way sunday :D

No I'm not in a club. I've been shooting over there for about 15 years or so. Most of the land I shoot on is owned by 2 different ladies. One of whom I know really well. She owns approx 2000 acres. She has tenant farmers that I know well, and I've built up a reputation with them, and been recommended to others by them. Which is how I got to shoot on the 2nd ladies land.The 2nd lady also has about 2000 acres rented out to tenant farmers. Same situation really.

These things don't happen overnight, I've earned the respect and trust over years.

Steves spot on he took me out on my first decoying trip :good:

might try the pole idea owts worth a go. well done! 15 years of decoying u must know sum stuff. we are off t gainsbrough sat on osr so may try a big pattern ? what you think

I'll always use a big pattern on the rape at this time of year, with all my decoys and gizmo's put out. It'll be getting more difficult every day from now,to pull them in, what with drillings and clover coming on, and the rape getting taller.