Sloe gin

Buzzer

I would know buzzer me ol mate. I'll tell you if you promise NOT to tell anybody ok?

SLOE GIN

1 pint of gin ( cheap stuff no use buying good gin as your going to flavour it try netto)

12 ounce of ripe sloes (i usually pick mine after the 1st frost )

6 oz of sugar

Wipe the sloes and ***** each 1 with a fork or ba

Well, you need gin, sloes, sugar, and if you like, almonds.

The best thing to make sloe gin in is Kilner jars, but if you haven't got any, then gin bottles will do.

Get your sloes when they are starting to go slightly soft, wash, dry and ***** them with a fork. (make sure you remove the stalks or they make it bitter)

Light turns it brown and taints it. It doesn't take much light to spoil.

Sloe gin is a liqueur not a wine - no fermentation takes place when you make it, so you don't have the problems normally associated with winemaking (i.e. going vinegarey, oxidising etc)

Start looking for Kilner jars at this summers car boot sales!!

The sloe is the fruit of the blackthorn bush - Prunus spinosa, a member of the rose family and closely related to the plum

The bullace (or wild plum) - Prunus domestica, closely resembles the damson in appearance, but the fruit is much smaller and the tree grows more as a bush. Bullace gin is more "fruity" flavoured than sloe gin. Bullace bushes can be distinguished fron sloe bushes in that the fruit and leaves are larger, and the bush has no thorns.

Bullaces and sloes can be mixed together when making liquers.

A Kilner jar is a glass jar used for bottling fruit. They have a glass lid and a metal sealing ring. There is a rubber seal between the lid and the jar.

Here's the rest of my recipe now the site is working again:

Well, you need gin, sloes, sugar, and if you like, almonds.

The best thing to make sloe gin in is Kilner jars, but if you haven't got any, then gin bottles will do.

Get your sloes when they are starting to go slightly soft, wash, dry and ***** them with a fork. (make sure you remove the stalks or they make it bitter)

Fill the Kilner jar to about 1 inch below the top with them, add 2 oz sugar and fill to the top with gin. Add a few pricked almonds if desired. Some people add cinnamon too.

Shake for the next couple of days until all the sugar is dissolved.

Put in a cool dark cupboard and forget about it for a few months.

Take the gin out and put it into a green gin bottle. Keep dark and cool for a few months.

Carefully decant off the gin leaving the sediment in the bottom.

Add more sugar if desired.

Tips:

Add sugar bit by bit, and leave the final sweetening to the end. You can always add more but once it is in you can't take it out.

The sloes are soaked in alcohol, so deparate your gin when you are doing punch and throw them into it when you have finished with them.

Keep the gin in green bottles in the dark otherwise the gin will go brown and lose its fla