rangefinders

foxnet22

ok i have a 17hmr and i am considering buying a rangefinder to range my quarry so that i know what distance its at and can get a clean kill and not an injured rabbit etc.question is what rangefinder would you reccomend for using with lamp at say 80-130 yrds not looking for somthing spectacular just enough for the range of a 17hmr .22 thanks.

Edited by foxnet22

If you intend to use it mainly at night you want one that is back lit or has an illuminated display.

I bought the Optisan unit from MTC, which is good out to 400yds, but it is no good in the dark as it is not back lit, and in poor visibilty it gets a bit flakey beyond 200yds.

The Leica units should fit the bill.

They are not cheap however, they work in bad light/darkness, poor visibilty (like mist or rain), and they even work through the windshield of the truck.

They also go out to 1200yds, which means if you go up to CF you won't have to buy another one.

As people say, buy well buy once (cry once).

I use an old set of bushnells bought them for £50 quid with leather pouch and so on strap and that also. I like to use them at night on foxes and they work very good furthest reading I had was 290 yards on a fox I tried it on a truck at night coming down the road headlights facing me and it was 900 yards . Pretty good I thought but they are ace as a tool making up part of a vital kit I think I would have missed a lot of shots if I didn't have them with me plus now I know when on the land that from previous trips with the range finders that a certain tree or bush is so far from ranging It on the last trip so help alot for judging the distances. Same again thow I think bushnell are a bit pricey new.

My shooting bud Katzenjammer recently bought the Hawke 600 range finder. Its the next one up from the entry level model. The main advantage is that it has a rain setting on it which the base model does'nt. Bout £120 from Uttings but shop about. Brilliant bit of kit and it works really well. Think i'll invest in one myself to be honest. :good: .

ATB Pat

In my opinion you will be wasting your money if that is your worry, 17s have little drop between those distances to make enough difference.

find out the point blank range. Have a look on the "jbm ballistics" web site and have a play with the zero range of your choice, put in the vital kill zone 1 inch, put in point blank range and it will give you the info you need :good:

My shooting bud Katzenjammer recently bought the Hawke 600 range finder. Its the next one up from the entry level model. The main advantage is that it has a rain setting on it which the base model does'nt. Bout £120 from Uttings but shop about. Brilliant bit of kit and it works really well. Think i'll invest in one myself to be honest. :good: .

ATB Pat

woteva :rolleyes: