17. HMR difference

Ferretboy111

Hello, ive been looking at the CZ 17.hmr's rifles and have a small question to ask, Whats the difference with the CZ american 452 and the Cz Varmint 452? im confused as the varmint is more expensive than the american one so something must be either better on it or different.

ANy ideas

Alex ;)

i also believe (although i'm not certain on this) that the american has no lug on the barrel, where as the varmint (and every other model) does.

but i would need a american owner to confirm this.

I will have to have a look at mine. Mine is the American varmint

Confused ? abit

Jonno

they also do an American varmint.

Yep, I have one.

I think the American refers to the stock shape (not that I could tell an American from a non-American stock).

Varmint is the heavy barrel.

So my American Varmint is a heavy barelled different stock gun - most confusing.

It shoots good though ;)

Cheers

AndyCM

Hello, ive been looking at the CZ 17.hmr's rifles and have a small question to ask, Whats the difference with the CZ american 452 and the Cz Varmint 452? im confused as the varmint is more expensive than the american one so something must be either better on it or different.

ANy ideas

Alex ;)

no disrespect to anyone on this forum, but if you log on to www. rimfirecentral.com

it has about 2000 pages of .17 stuff and more besides. :rolleyes:

Er, what CZ American do you have then Andy, ;) because mine doesn’t have one. What you may be getting muxed ip with is that big round block that the rear bedding bolt is connected to. There certainly isn’t a recoil lug on the .17 hmr because the magazine and all the gubbins that is there to hold it is too long to accommodate one. :rolleyes:

G.M.

Edited by Gemini

Hi Gemini / Hi Mark,

You've got to feel sorry for someone looking at this lot for the first time 'cos we're confused and we own them ;)

Just to confirm, yes Mark is right my .17hmr is an American Varmint.

No idea what the lug thing is all about, I have a .22lr too and don't know if I have any lugs on either.

Important thing is they shoot ok if I do my bit.

Alex, glad you asked :rolleyes: , I rekon we've confused the whole thing more, best thing is to find a good gunshop and compare them on the rack or find the one you like best.

Good Luck

Andy CM

like i said..... my understanding was that the american (hmr and .22) had no lug (although i was not aware of the american varmint, although i know the varmint uses the american action and should be printed as such... so maybe a confusion)

however my .22 (plain varmint) has a lug up front, and i know the style etc... do.

some people fancy taking their guns apart ;)

I'm in the market for a .17 HMR.......Looked at a CZ American Varmint .........and thought it looked like something you'd pull out of a UNLUCKY bag ;) .......You'd only lamp with it cause if anyone seen you around with it in daylight they'd confiscate it and use as a door prop :lol: Although I'm sure they shoot well they are cheap and this one I browsed over looked cheap also with the action on the bolt being as rough as old nails :rolleyes:

Why could'nt SAKO do a finnfire version of the .17 HMR ;) and market the Quad as a TIKKA :lol:

Ive ................TIN HAT TIME :lol:

Ive, before Webley went under, they were advertising a replacement barrel for the Sako Finnfire. This was in .17 Mach 2 and all that was needed was a change of barrel. You could then still use the same magazines as your .22rf.

Don’t know if anyone else is doing this, although at £250 it would be just as easy to buy another rifle ;) (CZ that is).

G.M.

This was in .17 Mach 2 and all that was needed was a change of barrel.

It's got to be the HMR I'm afraid GM ...............I feel the Mach 2 is just one of those gimmicks that catch out the inexperinced to the sport with cash to spend ;)

Whats your thoughts as I feel you may as well stick to .22 lr as opposd to .17 Mach 2?

Ive

i think venom were still making them, and i suspect when they setup (what ever they might call them selves) they will continue to make them. They looked 10x better than the quad, and probably shot very nicely once venom had breathed on it.

i'm only saying this because i know axe is away this week ;) so he cant stand up for the quad.

The 17hmr will send a 17grn bullet downrange at 2550fps and a 20grn at 2100fps,and I challenge anyone to spot the difference apart from the extra drop at 125yds.

The Mach 2 has a MV of 2100fps and is far superior to the .22rf, but as you say, why bother with a Mach 2 when you can have the hmr.

G.M.

i think venom were still making them, and i suspect when they setup (what ever they might call them selves) they will continue to make them. They looked 10x better than the quad, and probably shot very nicely once venom had breathed on it.

;) Steve(of venom) is looking to set up on his own. As soon as i know more, will let people know. Things are a bit in the air for him at the moment as we are aware :rolleyes:

what ever he does with his reputation and name on it he will succed. If i had the money i would have loved a piece of their work, the stuff ive seen has been top class.

in my opinion the HM2 is the stupidist round ever, its supersonic, so immediatly its lost the most valuable thing the .22lr has going for it. It can shoot much further than a .22lr. It cant really be used on foxes, and ammo will porbably be a pain to find.

for once i agree the HMR is a much better option.

or handload some .22 centerfire (only 10p or so difference per shot.... yet a few hundred yards difference in effective range)

of course ignoring the loss of a social life and the hole in your wallet from all your reloading gear and manuals ;)