Trapping whilst shooting

danccooke

Do any of you rabbit shooters trap also?

The warren that I have been asked to deal with is quite big, I am not sure how effectively I can manage it with just the evening forays. ( I can't lamp it) Tempted with getting some of the body grip traps. Interested in views and experiences.

cheers

Fenn MK6 work well. Mine were very shiny when they arrived, so I soaked them in a barrel full of water and oak leaves, which dulled them a bit.

They must be set either inside the hole or covered so as to avoid unwanted animals, setting in a shallow hole in the tunnel exit and covering with brambles like a tunnel works well.

For proper expert advice try Moochers forum.

That is bang on the mark of what i was looking for. I wasn't sure about the having to cover the trap. I didn't want to have to be digging rabbit holes but don't want to be breaking the law either. So as long as i make sure it is well covered in a tunnel like fashion with brambles brush etc i'm ok?

with mk6 fenns, you need to dig/scrape a shallow hole for the trap to sit in, then carefully re-cover with loose soil, lastly using a stick to take the safety catch off, thus to a rabbit the warren tunnel looks no different than from the day before, good traps to use as they catch on either entry or exit, I normally stick 5 or 10 down, then have a few hours shooting before re-checking, had one catch a rabbit literelly 1 minute after setting it, and working on the next hole, make sure you dont have footpaths and dog walkers in the area, as a small dog sticking its head down a hole could easily get caught, if neccessary place warning signs up in area, saying that poison has been laid for rats, that'll make dog walkers keep them on leads, rather than signs saying trapping in progress, and having some little scrot nick your traps

So as long as i make sure it is well covered in a tunnel like fashion with brambles brush etc i'm ok?

no, it needs to be a proper tunnel, either just inside the warren hole, or a man made box, brambles will not do, as it does not stop non target species from getting caught

Thanks for all the information peoples.

I might get just a couple and go from there.(and make sure they are most definitely in the tunnel) Main reason I asked is because I'd like to make a noticable dent in the population quite quickly, to show there is a good reason for me to be there.

As for the Ferreting. I'd love to go ferreting somewhen. I don't think I would have permission for that on this ground. But i could enquire ;)

I am assuming here but it might be due to the horses in the paddocks, I am guessing they don't want them startled in the night. Also some of the neighbours in the area are ......... you know.

But from starting with a chat with the Cricket Club Chairman about the state of one corner of the pitch and the risk to peoples ankles, offering my help as a paying member of the club. To getting permission for the farm next door (they have horses and the rabbit holes are just as much of a problem, as well as killing his hay crop) Now that farmer is working on the "Estate" owner on the other side of his land. I might end up with a fair size permission from this. So I'm kinda not wanting to rock the boat either. I just want to get in get some results and then from there just carry on having a nice permission. It's also really close to my pigeon permission too. So could make for some really nice days.

So far with the farmer it has all been by phone so I just need to catch up with him this week, as we both decided actually knowing what each other look like would be useful. I have printed off a permission slip i'll ask him to sign.