sako owners

foxnet22

Nice buck! I would agree that a few negative reports tend to put people off. I would be happy with one but I tend to look for good conditioned older stuff and get better value for money IMO.

some depends what calibre you are after and how long you intend to keep it. I was buying a .243 so really you ideally want a new one so you know how its been used etc. It was a bit of a treat and I intend it as a keeper so wanted something I wouldn't want to change down the line. Its interesting how people dismiss them yet everyone who actually has one really likes it. Certainly the build quality seems pretty good and well thought out, the mag is a nice touch as is being able to unload it with the safety on. Add that to a decent trigger and a rifle that shoots very well its hard to work out where the issues are.

I have three Sako rifles. A 75, an 85, and an A7. The 85 is somewhat different internally from the 75. They have improved the feed somewhat and the locking magazine is definitely an improvement. I am not so impressed with the recoil lug, but it is obviously easier to produce and doesn't affect the accuracy as far as I can tell.

The A7 is a bit of an oddball. It is a 75 hybrid with some 85 features. The synthetic stock is much like a Tikka and it has the Tikka bolt shroud and trigger guard. It also has the 85 magazine lock and has the 85 bolt. I actually prefer it to the 85

I think the Sako is better made than Remington (I have a couple and have handled quite a few) I also think they are better made than the Browning. Whether it is worth paying substantially more though is open to debate. In the UK Remington rifles are comparatively expensive, and to be honest it is obvious they are mass produced. The Sako does seem more Olde Worlde craftsman made. If money was no object I would certainly have to have a Bavarian. The quality of wood used and general fit and finish are excellent.

I have three Sako rifles. A 75, an 85, and an A7. The 85 is somewhat different internally from the 75. They have improved the feed somewhat and the locking magazine is definitely an improvement. I am not so impressed with the recoil lug, but it is obviously easier to produce and doesn't affect the accuracy as far as I can tell.

The A7 is a bit of an oddball. It is a 75 hybrid with some 85 features. The synthetic stock is much like a Tikka and it has the Tikka bolt shroud and trigger guard. It also has the 85 magazine lock and has the 85 bolt. I actually prefer it to the 85

I think the Sako is better made than Remington (I have a couple and have handled quite a few) I also think they are better made than the Browning. Whether it is worth paying substantially more though is open to debate. In the UK Remington rifles are comparatively expensive, and to be honest it is obvious they are mass produced. The Sako does seem more Olde Worlde craftsman made. If money was no object I would certainly have to have a Bavarian. The quality of wood used and general fit and finish are excellent.

Did you say bavarian :rolleyes: collected mine today

Edited by silverhawk

Thanks for the detailed reply! I would also be more inclined to go second hand older model and possible rebarrel. Or a T3 with a Mcmillan stock :/ I'm sure the 85s still shoot though!

many better guns for the money than a t3 imo. i think getting a mac for one might mean special order and a long wait though. When i say Sako have declined that nothing compared to Tikka.

i must say i like the look of that 85 Bavarian but it looks way different to the one used in the advertising photos though - i do like the look of the open sights ( always fancied a real traditional "classic" look gun myself) though never been able to justify it as practical. Opens are a very practical back up if you know how to use them for shorter range work