My new GWP puppy

Radar_uk

fine looking pup, the sire is just listed as " a stalking dog" i take it you know from were, just interested in lineage of these dogs in the uk . Great dogs, can test you to the limit at times. I should not like to be without mine but never have i encountered such a willfull pig headed dog during his "teenage period" but with that stubourness comes intelect and courage :good:

Hi, nice pup your getting and if you get the training right you should end up with a first class working dog , I OWN AND WORK THE SIRE TO YOUR PUP , he is my main stalking companion ,and without his help i would not shoot as many deer as i do . In answer to Kents question his blood lines are from real working dogs ,Btyantscroft ,Wiggmansburg, Andesheim,Wittekind,his pedigree is full of FT, WINNERS and the two GWHP ft. champions (up to now theres only two gwhp that are FT.CH. )

Max will be 4yrs this year and I have trained him for deer stalking ,(I like to train them for stalking first )now i have started to train him to work feather.

I have 4 GWHP at the moment Max and a dog pup i kept from a litter from my bitch Tikka, born Dec, he is solid liver like max,and my two GWHP bitch,my second bitch is sired by a TRUDVANG Dog and i have mated her to MAX and she is due to whelp next week ,i look forward to seeing what she produces. I have tried puting some photos on but no luck, ATB hy-flyer

looks a good pedigree for a nice working dog you must have a decent amount of patience if you have 4 of them. Mine has been an eye opening experience but few dogs are such characters and rewarding when you get it right.

Hi, nice pup your getting and if you get the training right you should end up with a first class working dog , I OWN AND WORK THE SIRE TO YOUR PUP , he is my main stalking companion ,and without his help i would not shoot as many deer as i do . In answer to Kents question his blood lines are from real working dogs ,Btyantscroft ,Wiggmansburg, Andesheim,Wittekind,his pedigree is full of FT, WINNERS and the two GWHP ft. champions (up to now theres only two gwhp that are FT.CH. )

Max will be 4yrs this year and I have trained him for deer stalking ,(I like to train them for stalking first )now i have started to train him to work feather.

I have 4 GWHP at the moment Max and a dog pup i kept from a litter from my bitch Tikka, born Dec, he is solid liver like max,and my two GWHP bitch,my second bitch is sired by a TRUDVANG Dog and i have mated her to MAX and she is due to whelp next week ,i look forward to seeing what she produces. I have tried puting some photos on but no luck, ATB hy-flyer

Thanks for all the information !

Picking her up on the 20th of this month and I will make sure I keep my patience going with the training :good:

Oh and they're not my nails - not my colour at all :P

I trained the reverse of this, i know thats not the done thing but it seems to have worked for my needs (he will currently take intrest in other game when i have the riflewhich is the downside) but if he don't learn the difference i cant see it being any worse than a deer dog that does likewise. what i do not allow is ranging out searching for birds and ground game without being told. i think my dog was perhaps sired by the same TRUDVANG dog as you second bitch perhaps? Magnus? how did that go for you? mine is a total workaholic who just can't turn it off ever, sounds realy great till you live with it every hour, every day

I trained the reverse of this, i know thats not the done thing but it seems to have worked for my needs (he will currently take intrest in other game when i have the riflewhich is the downside) but if he don't learn the difference i cant see it being any worse than a deer dog that does likewise. what i do not allow is ranging out searching for birds and ground game without being told. i think my dog was perhaps sired by the same TRUDVANG dog as you second bitch perhaps? Magnus? how did that go for you? mine is a total workaholic who just can't turn it off ever, sounds realy great till you live with it every hour, every day

Hi Kent My bitch that's due to whelp next week was sired by TRUDVANG NJORD . My dog MAX is trained to walk at my side when i go deer stalking and when he gets scent of a deer he lets me know but stays at my side , i have also trained him to sit under a high seat and not move until i come down ,if i pick up a gun he comes to my side with out me saying anything to him , I have been rotovating some of my land today, i let him and BUCK his son born last Dec come with me up the field while i worked the land Max found a place in the corner and just sat and watched me work for a couple of hours , once i give him the hunt command that's what he does, he is still learning , I did not get him till he was getting on for 2yrs ,his last owner could not do much with him, in fact i came close to shooting him he thought sheep and in fact all livestock fair game, I keep some sheep and i have poultry to train my dogs to leave them alone, Max does not bother any of them now, most of my dogs show an interest in poultry when pups , i let them follow me round while i feed and if one starts to chase a firm " NO" UNTILL THEY GET THE MESAGE . it helps if one of the old Cocks gives them a peck. My springer's and cocker pups are the worse for trying to chase my ducks, i have to keep an eye on them all the time until they grow out of it.

Good hunting with your GWHP they take a bit more training than say a lab but they have to do a lot more but there worth it, ATB hy-flyer

On the subject of chickens my dog loves them. Especially the heads!

We have chickens, ducks, geese, sheep and pigs on either side of the garden. The fence is stock fence with a rail across the top so not more than 4ft high and my GWP could easily jump over and help himself to them but he dosent. They problems start if the birds stray into the garden. They don't last very long at all. Last week a duck stuck it's head through the fence to get some grass and was beheaded.

He thinks it's fair game if they are in his garden but I don't really want to punish him to much incase it puts him off birds altogether.

He has had 3 guinea fowl, 1 duck and 5 or 6 chickens. The rest have their wings clipped so they shouldn't be able to get out of their runs.

On the subject of chickens my dog loves them. Especially the heads!

We have chickens, ducks, geese, sheep and pigs on either side of the garden. The fence is stock fence with a rail across the top so not more than 4ft high and my GWP could easily jump over and help himself to them but he dosent. They problems start if the birds stray into the garden. They don't last very long at all. Last week a duck stuck it's head through the fence to get some grass and was beheaded.

He thinks it's fair game if they are in his garden but I don't really want to punish him to much incase it puts him off birds altogether.

He has had 3 guinea fowl, 1 duck and 5 or 6 chickens. The rest have their wings clipped so they shouldn't be able to get out of their runs.

:devil: IF the poultry belong to someone else its a cheap way of feeding your dog :devil: ATB hy flyer

Hi Kent My bitch that's due to whelp next week was sired by TRUDVANG NJORD . My dog MAX is trained to walk at my side when i go deer stalking and when he gets scent of a deer he lets me know but stays at my side , i have also trained him to sit under a high seat and not move until i come down ,if i pick up a gun he comes to my side with out me saying anything to him , I have been rotovating some of my land today, i let him and BUCK his son born last Dec come with me up the field while i worked the land Max found a place in the corner and just sat and watched me work for a couple of hours , once i give him the hunt command that's what he does, he is still learning , I did not get him till he was getting on for 2yrs ,his last owner could not do much with him, in fact i came close to shooting him he thought sheep and in fact all livestock fair game, I keep some sheep and i have poultry to train my dogs to leave them alone, Max does not bother any of them now, most of my dogs show an interest in poultry when pups , i let them follow me round while i feed and if one starts to chase a firm " NO" UNTILL THEY GET THE MESAGE . it helps if one of the old Cocks gives them a peck. My springer's and cocker pups are the worse for trying to chase my ducks, i have to keep an eye on them all the time until they grow out of it.

Good hunting with your GWHP they take a bit more training than say a lab but they have to do a lot more but there worth it, ATB hy-flyer

Yep, mine was broken to sheep at an early age (we live on a sheep farm) however at about seven months he decided all of a sudden they should be on the game list and pinned one to our fence! totally ripped into him and thinking to myself "wont do that again" while walking him to heel towards the back of the house he gave me a sly look, bolted hurdled the fence and did the same again in the back field ( i think thats why they call them pig headed), So yes i have been there with that one :rolleyes: Anyway long story short he is now ok with them though dislkes them comming too close to his kennel and has a tendency to bark, sheep being sheep they totally ignoor him now and he gets a telling for making unessasary noise, but will not even look at them when out in the same fields or on the marsh etc . Poltry and fowl especially are were i have to be carefull, if he encouters them while free running he will fetch them to me (luckily he is very soft mouthed) i always release them shaken but unharmed after putting him away .However last winter some escaped Geese showed up out of the blue and i just couldn't see thier white bodies in the snow and before i could blow the stop whistle he was on his way back with one :rolleyes: the Gander bravely but stupidly attacked to save his goose and the result was a dead gander quicker than you could snap your fingers (the goose was fine she was just a little shocked). i was worried this might be the turning point and he would end up hard mouthed but he has retrieved all subsquent wild geese and game just fine (scatch that he ate one pheasant because i let him jump in the car with it so he claimed it as his bounty and not a retrieve proper) . Wasn't interseted in fox at first, he would just sniff them and wander off though one night all of a sudden he decided on murder, death, kill to the extent he garded it from my lamping partner and has become a great asset noe out lamping, though at times a little exitable. Deer work is early stages yet as he is only 3yrs but doing ok. As a pet he is seriously useless, without a task he fidjits, treats guests with tollerance but distain and generally looks for trouble just to relieve the bordom

I could be without him now but there have been a few times i thought of the long sleep cure :yes:

they are crackers, wouldn't trust mine with fowl as I know what she will do. Sheep and cattle she is fine however this morning met a woman out walking. Appears that this used to follow her when she went out walking, cue much embarrassment on my part and lucky it can climb. I had to leave with the woman there trying to coax it down :oops:

EastHertfordshire-20110512-00079.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bet a lot more of that liver speckle comes to the fore in a few years :good: Prepare for a change in her attitude in adolecence, if it comes (obviously all are a bit different) you will battle with it daily till she is comming on three then its like you swapped her for another totally biddable eager to please paragon like a switch has been flicked (not unknown with the breed) but well worth weathering the storm. :good:

She looks lovely - butter wouldn't melt in that mouth!

I had a real scare with my 2 year old Wire bitch yesterday. One minute she was hunting a lovely pattern ahead of me, the next she went slightly into the tree line. I wasn't worried by this, just pipped her to turn back but she had vanished. :no: She has never done this before at all. I searched and searched and a friend found her several miles away waiting for me at my car. We were on grounds she had never been on before so really didn't believe she would have found the car.

She has a fairly deep penetration wound on her chest so wonder if she was injured in the tree line and became scared/disorientated... I have a few extra grey hairs this morning. Can't tell you how relieved I was to get the phone call that she'd been found. :)

What have you called your little one? Helen.

She looks lovely - butter wouldn't melt in that mouth!

I had a real scare with my 2 year old Wire bitch yesterday. One minute she was hunting a lovely pattern ahead of me, the next she went slightly into the tree line. I wasn't worried by this, just pipped her to turn back but she had vanished. :no: She has never done this before at all. I searched and searched and a friend found her several miles away waiting for me at my car. We were on grounds she had never been on before so really didn't believe she would have found the car.

She has a fairly deep penetration wound on her chest so wonder if she was injured in the tree line and became scared/disorientated... I have a few extra grey hairs this morning. Can't tell you how relieved I was to get the phone call that she'd been found. :)

What have you called your little one? Helen.

Helen,

Sounds like Deer trouble to me, the wound on the chest is classic example of a kicking wound. Are you 100% she is steady to deer, if not then thats my bet especially as she disapeared into the tree line :good:

Helen,

Sounds like Deer trouble to me, the wound on the chest is classic example of a kicking wound. Are you 100% she is steady to deer, if not then thats my bet especially as she disapeared into the tree line :good:

my thinking is similar except could be deer could be foxes they are a large dog when they decide to bolt on something they don't think of the consequences and whether the gap in the hedge is big enough for them so could easily be a branch thats done it. Good that the dog went to the car though mine never does it now but used to just go back to where she last saw me, mostly with tall rape round here its quite easy for them to get disorientated,

my thinking is similar except could be deer could be foxes they are a large dog when they decide to bolt on something they don't think of the consequences and whether the gap in the hedge is big enough for them so could easily be a branch thats done it. Good that the dog went to the car though mine never does it now but used to just go back to where she last saw me, mostly with tall rape round here its quite easy for them to get disorientated,

could be any number of things to chase at the end of the day, but taking it that Helens dog is actually trained and the puncture to the front of the chest - thats a very clasic deer inflicted injury (without going into to great a depth those rear cleaves are sharp and they seem to know it). How many take real time steadying to deer? Strange coz they are the natural prey of dogs. Anyway sorry for diverting the thread a little - Its a grand looking pup :good:

In honesty? We don't come across many deer, and when we do the stop whistle is blown and occasionally a 'don't you bloody dare!' She does as she is told, but cannot say 100% that without my input she would not chase. And as I didn't see anything, it is impossible to say. Same with foxes, we saw a huge dog yesterday and I told her to stay put, but if I didn't see it I think she would maybe chase.

The wound is healing very well now am pleased to say, and all seems to be back to normal. Perfect stop on a rabbit today which is her biggest temptation, and totally ignored a family of ducks when sent for a retrieve next to them, so hoping it really was a 1 off. H.

P.S Sorry to have interrupted this thread, have posted a pic on the pic section of her today.

Edited by helenthomas