3" magnums?

Reet you helpful lot.

After some great help in replys on my .410 questions I now need some advice on the 3" magnum shottys.

The thing is after shooting my friends 12g for years, then getting my own license, I have never really looked or needed to look into anything els untill now.

I have seen a shotgun for sale on here which I would like to inquire about but it's a 3" magnum.

What's the difference with this regarding shooting rabbitt and pigeon. I know it will need 3" carts, but does range and stopping power differ, or is this more for the bigger game birds.

I love eating rabbit and pigeon so I don't want to get the gun if it's going to turn everything into a mangled mess.

Thanks peeps

Dave

Both of my newer shotguns are chambered for 3" carts and proofed for steel, I only ever use two and haf inch carts, but keep a box of 10 magnums in large shot primarily if i come across some thing a little larger that needs to humanly be dispatched, other than that, normal carts suffice.

A good shot will only need a 70mm 32g No 3 and full choke to bring down just about anything a shot gun is made to bring down. The 3" magnum is over rated and very uncomfortable to use in most guns. :yes:

The best all round cartridge is a 70mm 28g No 6 in felt.

Edited by COACH

Guest cookoff013

A good shot will only need a 70mm 32g No 3 and full choke to bring down just about anything a shot gun is made to bring down. The 3" magnum is over rated and very uncomfortable to use in most guns. :yes:

The best all round cartridge is a 70mm 28g No 6 in felt.

is that the same no.6 that can be used for every game? geese and foxes and hares? -oh my!

i seriously beg to differ. the 28g no.6 is a great bird cartridge, it is brilliant on some normal driven game.

36g no. 4 is ideal for geese and foxes and hares.

42g BB for bigger stuff.

i do think the 3" is over rated. it was for turkey hunters.

3inch steel is the bomb.