Ferrets/ polecat

coupe312

ok novice alert

what are they like to keep, never had one but the kids are driving me mad wanting one :blink: .

As i will end up feeding it and stuff i want to know. whats it like? how hard are they to look after and will kids be ok with it :thumbs:

all advice wecome

Get a young one and if handled gently from small, it will be as good as gold.

A large rabbit hutch , plus an outdoor run facility is great.

I have always used a mix of straw and hay for the bedding and sawdust in the open area of the hutch.

Basically, they drink water and eat meat/fish based pet food.

I occasionally feed , shot birds, chicken giblets, and similar items, but be aware feathers make a mess.

Clean regularly and they don't smell.

I would not have one on its own, as they are very sociable characters.

Get two females and have them spayed, if you don't want to breed them.

The subject of keeping ferrets could stretch to a great number of pages. :thumbs:

Get two of them depends what you want them for on which sex you get. Two hobs if your not wanting to work them or Two jills if you want to work them thats my opinion atleast. I have a book here by david bezzant called Ferreting a traditional country pursuit it will tell you everything you need to know get a copy from your local library. If your ferrets are handled from an early age they wont bite. When you first start handling them they will bite you but they wont break the skin. Its alot like a baby teething. Bedding wise i have to disagree with cranfield i use paper bedding as it avoids ticks which lie dormant in both hay and straw though i do use woodshavings on the floor of the pen.

If i can be of any help mate just drop me a pm. :thumbs:

Y.I.S

Jordan