First FAC Application - Cheshire

Hey guys. In a couple of weeks, I should have my full membership to my local HO approved rifle club, so should be able to apply for my FAC for target shooting.

I've been reading through here and other places and have been picking up useful info as I go along.

Sadly, I'm in Cheshire, which appears to consistently show up to be the worst area to apply for your FAC. Since I will be applying initially for the rifles to be used at the club, with the hope of adding hunting as and when I find suitable permissions, would I be able to apply for suppressors?

I was intending to go for something like a .22lr for the indoor club rifle, and a bit of stealthy hunting pending a permission, a .223 for the outdoor MOD ranges, and a bit of foxing if/when I get suitable permissions, maybe something that can be used for bunnies and foxes at closer ranges such as the .22wmr and some form of O/U shotgun.

Upon finding a permission, how awkward would it be to add hunting to my uses for the rifles?

Since I'd also be applying for a coterminous shotgun cert, do I need to show proof that I have a permission for it or use a clay ground, as the licencing law appears to put the onus on the FLO to prove you are a danger to the public, and shouldn't be allowed one, rather than you proving your need for one.

I currently have a permission for air rifle hunting and have been hunting on and off for the last 5 or more years, with my Uncle, friends and alone using the air rifle. Will this aid me with any application in any way?

Sadly my air rifle permission is a little small for much more than air rifles or shotguns and is riddled with footpaths and lines a railway.

Also, I have two SP30's and an MS60 ( I got caught wheelying my VTR1000 a year or two ago). Will these show up as a disregard for the law, or do traffic convictions not really matter? Others appear to have said they are more worried about you trying to hide traffic violations, which shows badly on your character, and actually having them doesn't appear to be an issue.

Is there anything I'm obviously overlooking, or is the system all pretty easy?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys. In a couple of weeks, I should have my full membership to my local HO approved rifle club, so should be able to apply for my FAC for target shooting.

I've been reading through here and other places and have been picking up useful info as I go along.

Sadly, I'm in Cheshire, which appears to consistently show up to be the worst area to apply for your FAC. Since I will be applying initially for the rifles to be used at the club, with the hope of adding hunting as and when I find suitable permissions, would I be able to apply for suppressors?

I was intending to go for something like a .22lr for the indoor club rifle, and a bit of stealthy hunting pending a permission, a .223 for the outdoor MOD ranges, and a bit of foxing if/when I get suitable permissions, maybe something that can be used for bunnies and foxes at closer ranges such as the .22wmr and some form of O/U shotgun.

Upon finding a permission, how awkward would it be to add hunting to my uses for the rifles?

Since I'd also be applying for a coterminous shotgun cert, do I need to show proof that I have a permission for it or use a clay ground, as the licencing law appears to put the onus on the FLO to prove you are a danger to the public, and shouldn't be allowed one, rather than you proving your need for one.

I currently have a permission for air rifle hunting and have been hunting on and off for the last 5 or more years, with my Uncle, friends and alone using the air rifle. Will this aid me with any application in any way?

Sadly my air rifle permission is a little small for much more than air rifles or shotguns and is riddled with footpaths and lines a railway.

Also, I have two SP30's and an MS60 ( I got caught wheelying my VTR1000 a year or two ago). Will these show up as a disregard for the law, or do traffic convictions not really matter? Others appear to have said they are more worried about you trying to hide traffic violations, which shows badly on your character, and actually having them doesn't appear to be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate, i cant see a problem getting a moderator on your ticket as its a health and safety issue to preseve your hearing! I would imagine the air rifle hunting will be an advantage as its given some experience to talk about for when the flo calls round for a chat. The sp30 will not cause a problem and i doubt very much the ms60 will either. Ha-the vtr's hey, had an SP1-i lived on the back wheel on that thing!! :lol::lol: Hope it all goes to plan for you mate. :good:

Ha-the vtr's hey, had an SP1-i lived on the back wheel on that thing!! :lol::lol:

Even though the SP1 is getting quite old now, it is still my dream bike that I have to own one day. I think they look amazing, though I've heard they're not great to live with?

Even though the SP1 is getting quite old now, it is still my dream bike that I have to own one day. I think they look amazing, though I've heard they're not great to live with?

They are the mutts nuts mate-wish i hadnt sold mine now (they are sky rocketing in price massively now!). They are proper old-school, lumpy as **** round town etc but get out on the open road and by **** do they shift, hard suspension and a bit head shakey ridden hard but thats part of its character, sound awesome with some nice cans on too (mine were obviously road legal :lol::lol: ). Got an 08 'blade now-but going back to the twins end of year-probably an rsv factory. :good:

Moderators are granted no problem for c/f rifles used on mod ranges however my local r/f range a moderator isnt necesary as it dosen't reduce the noise of the rounds used for target use.

Adding vermin control to your existing fac wouldn't be a problem at all so long as you have some permission that is cleared or can be cleared for the rifle you intend to use there.

You could say that it is for clays and then vermin control when you get some, no problems there.

It certainly wouldn't do no harm and shows that you have some experience with gun handling/safety.

Every conviction matters but so long as you have been honest with them I can't see any problem with your minor motoring convictions.

Looks like you have all bases covered just get your self out now and look for some permission good luck with your application :good:

Thanks in advance.

hi why dont you put in for a 17hmr also if you dont want it you can use it as a 1-1 for what you do want later on , good luck with your 223 maybe different for club use but for hunting 'fox' you wont get it for vermin maybe a stretch they like it to be at least a year down the road , thats what ive been told recently in my dealings with them . You may have it totally different as there is no set rules with any of them . pm for more details atb gb

hi why dont you put in for a 17hmr also if you dont want it you can use it as a 1-1 for what you do want later on , good luck with your 223 maybe different for club use but for hunting 'fox' you wont get it for vermin maybe a stretch they like it to be at least a year down the road , thats what ive been told recently in my dealings with them . You may have it totally different as there is no set rules with any of them . pm for more details atb gb

Not much chance of being granted an hmr without any land to support it and I don't know anyone who has one for target shooting only.

Not much chance of being granted an hmr without any land to support it and I don't know anyone who has one for target shooting only.

i got a hmr for target when i first got my fac could only use on outdoor ranges tho as the club had a velocity cap on indoor shooting!

i got a hmr for target when i first got my fac could only use on outdoor ranges tho as the club had a velocity cap on indoor shooting!

i know non expanding .17 hmr are available in the states now but surely they are like hens teeth here :hmm: A suggestion to the op - Why not book a pay for the day and then you have "good reason" to own a hunting rifle and ammo / moderator? use your confirmation of booking letter in place of evidence. Be aware if you don't use them your licence to hold any gun can be revoked at any time though

There is a gun club at Bangor which uses twin railway tunnels. No limit on calibre or ammo and indoors.

The police would have to give you moderators, I would suggest for hearing protection as, for example these tunnels are very noisy with a .223. There are some people who use them without mods and use cans but for everyones sake the mod is a better option.

Cheers