BFG A/T & Alloys

Chris Bb

Have an alloy wheel fitted with a BFG A/T which will not hold air for a week. No obvious puncture & tyre shop say it's a compatability fault with the wheel/tyre. Question: can the tyre be fitted with an inner tube to cure the problem? Or is there another cure, short of buying a new tyre, :oops: which will solve the problem?

compatability problem ? in all my years never heard that one before :unsure:

Can be several reasons,

corrosion/pitting on the alloy wheel where the tyre bead sits ? This can be cleaned and the tyre reseated using a bead sealing agent (a type of liquid rubber solution)

Alloy wheel has become porous, (treat as above but unlikely to be permanent)

Leaking air around the valve ? (Treat as first one and intall new valve, either pull through or bolt in valve)

Depending on aspect ratio of the tyre a correctly sized tube may be available.

I had the same with my Frontera, sometimes you can get dirt and crud sitting between the tyre and the alloy wheel and so not making a tight seal, your only choice is either removing the offending tyres and cleaning/grinding to clean all the muck etc off or buying a can of tyre seal gunk and fill the tyre with that.

Clean any muck off the bead but do not polish it as your better off with a little roughness to get a good seal. take it to someone that knows what their doing, if need be they can put a liquid rubber type paint on the bead just before fitting the tyre.

I over polished a set for rims on a little Cleo and couldn't get an airtight fit so had to scab it up again.lol