Larson trip

kier

Further to my last post, I find it takes a while to set the trip perches to be stable when I tap the trap, so they wont release too soon, im using top entry trap , is there another trip other than two piece 1" round wooden bars?.

Ive seen magpies walking around the trap it has been suggested to raise the trap on a bale but I dont have any bales on this farm so its not happened yet, would side entry improve my catch? (its 7.50 am ive just caught another one there is a third one trying to get in but cant find the door ) . Does any one think side entry better altogether. I bought my top entry from ebay £39 cheap and cheerful . Makes me wonder if a larger centre cage to hold more (its 8am 4 more magpies have turned up ) birds would be better. (8.07 am trap is full)

They definitely work better in a slightly elevated position, surely there must be some pallets on the farm..??

If the trip is over sensitive the springs may be a bit weak, you need a reasonably strong spring to hold the 2 half dowels together, can you tighten it a bit..??

Seems like you're doing OK, empty the trap now and it'll be full again by lunchtime, I used to take the shotgun on emptying trips and often picked up a few "bonus" birds who were sat on the trap trying to join their mates in the catch compartment.

Cat.

but I dont have any bales on this farm so its not happened yet,

logical answer would be to buy a couple yourself :hmm:

Id say your springs are to weak, or they have been put on wrongly, I use one complete perch on my top entry trap, set really fine it can be knocked,carried banged etc and perch stays intact, its only when a magpie lands on it, that it'll move

They definitely work better in a slightly elevated position, surely there must be some pallets on the farm..??

If the trip is over sensitive the springs may be a bit weak, you need a reasonably strong spring to hold the 2 half dowels together, can you tighten it a bit..??

Seems like you're doing OK, empty the trap now and it'll be full again by lunchtime, I used to take the shotgun on emptying trips and often picked up a few "bonus" birds who were sat on the trap trying to join their mates in the catch compartment.

Cat.

Yes allways got pallets , il look at the springs soon, I took the shot gun this morning but didnt want to damage the cage by shooting the bird on top . thanks Cat

Edited by kier

logical answer would be to buy a couple yourself :hmm:

Id say your springs are to weak, or they have been put on wrongly, I use one complete perch on my top entry trap, set really fine it can be knocked,carried banged etc and perch stays intact, its only when a magpie lands on it, that it'll move

Will try a comlpete perch , and will put the trap up on pallets , thanks

Edited by kier

Yes allways got pallets , il look at the springs soon, I took the shot gun this morning but didnt want to damage the cage by shooting the bird on top . thanks Cat

Doh, do let the bird get airborne first, it'll be just like a "Down The Line" clay, going straight away from you, I guarantee it, don't rush the shot, blot the bird out then squeeze the trigger. :yes:

Cat.

Doh, do let the bird get airborne first, it'll be just like a "Down The Line" clay, going straight away from you, I guarantee it, don't rush the shot, blot the bird out then squeeze the trigger. :yes:

Cat.

Thanks for that Cat, I have recently bought a second hand semi, like the gun but was used to a sbs before and still having trouble hitting things going to use a more open choke its a nearly new fabarm bought it off here, it was cheap and cheerful .

Kieron

With the numbers you're talking about have you got the space for or considered a ladder trap?

found a picture on here of a ladder trap, all I need to know is the size of entry holes to make, guess they might be about 4" across,will sort out the wood tonight and some rabbit fencing ,had nothing else in the larson so far today so raised it up and caught another one in the next hour and there is still another one trying to get in.

Kieron

thier is a nuther way to have perches

take one hazle stick and cut it so it touches the mesh on the door side of the trap under the door and so its about 2 inch from the other side. so about 2 inch smaller than your catch compartment.

staple the hazle with one lose staple thrue the mesh so it flops losely them put a small screw in to the top on the hazle so then its in the up position the screw holds the door back and tada! one perch that wond come apart or fall out or jam the door open

thier is a nuther way to have perches

take one hazle stick and cut it so it touches the mesh on the door side of the trap under the door and so its about 2 inch from the other side. so about 2 inch smaller than your catch compartment.

staple the hazle with one lose staple thrue the mesh so it flops losely them put a small screw in to the top on the hazle so then its in the up position the screw holds the door back and tada! one perch that wond come apart or fall out or jam the door open

looks like another good idea that way you dont have to look for the bits afterwards, thanks