How to hit the woodies - help!

BigBeater

I have only been shooting a year and have been a regular at my local clay ground and also joined a pigeon club. With clays I'm doing ok - usual shoot skeet and sporting. The problem comes when I'm out after pigeons - I'm really struggling. I've done the recon and found a decent flight line on the edge of a wood looking out over a rape field - how do you hit pigeon when they are coming straight for you to fly over the top of the trees??????? They usually come in small groups 3-15 at a time as they are feeding 2 fields away on rape (that I have no access to). They seem high and fast - I mount my gun, find the bird pull away and pull the trigger - result - wasted lead!! Any tips and help much appreciated.....

I struggled with them ones too when i started. you need to blank the bird out with your gun so that your aiming but can no longer see it, keep moving with the bird until its in range then pull the trigger whilst at the same time snatching your gun up as if your trying to get ahead of it, and bang pigeon pie for tea. good luck buddy :good:

I suggest that you take someone with you, if possible, that knows what they're talking about, to try to see where you're missing them.

Everyone can only speculate on here, which could even make things worse.

I know most people miss behind, but its not always the case.

For example if you're missing in front, which is possible on a straight incomer, then giving it more pull through is only going to make it worse.

You need to know for definate, where you're shooting.

Stare at the target, dont take your eyes off it. Swing the gun through and squeeze the trigger . Your mind should tell you when to shoot. If your staring at the target your hands will follow your eyes naturally ( if you look at something then point your hand will naturally point to the same point) same when you ride a motorbike you will steer were you look.

As your staring the target you should also match the speed automatically, pigeons can be hard to hit and I have and still do have problems usually when I check lead etc. If I just stare the target out lift the gun and swing with out thinking. The best birds i have hit I have done it this way :good: everyone usually finds there own method that works but we all still miss :good:

Edited by mpk

I personally would shoot this type of bird by tracking it for a few seconds (example on its tail feathers) This will help you gain the speed and angle then pull through looking hard at the head when it feels right pull the trigger :good:

All good advice but also are they in range? Try 34 gms of no 5 if they are out at a distance. Often these birds are high and clearing 40m trees!!

Good advice if you have a multi choke gun you may need to tighten your chokes. If the birds are out of range no cartridge is going to bring them down. Putting the lead in the right place kills birds not bigger cartridges :good:

Mjt yep you gotta point in the right direction but ballistics make heavier shot travel further with energy. Diggweed shots 34 gm 5s for 60yrd pigeons and crows. Remember choke affects spread shotsize affects range. that's how I understand it and obviously tight chokes and big shot gives the longest range effective killing range but 1/2 choke will kill at longer ranges with a heavy load and large shot

come through the bird from behind pull in front and the pull the trigger, try and take the bird as early as you can and that way you have half a chance of getting a decent second shot if you miss, leave it to late and the second shot becomes very difficult.

1/4 and 1/2 choke is enough, maybe tighten up to 1/2 and 3/4 if they really are high, 32 gm catridge

if you miss then open your lead up a little until you 'find' them, once you do you will wonder why you missed so many

unfortunately its time out shooting thats the only answwer

Mjt yep you gotta point in the right direction but ballistics make heavier shot travel further with energy. Diggweed shots 34 gm 5s for 60yrd pigeons and crows. Remember choke affects spread shotsize affects range. that's how I understand it and obviously tight chokes and big shot gives the longest range effective killing range but 1/2 choke will kill at longer ranges with a heavy load and large shot

yep your right but a 28g 5 doing 1450fps will deliver the same energy as a 35g 5 at the same range. Yes your right Digweed does shoot 34g 5 for 60yard pigeons but he is doing it using full and super full. What i was saying is you don't need 35g 5 to kill long range birds you can do it with 28g 5 if you can get the shot in the right place its choke that delivers that patten to kill the long range birds.

Edited by MJT

True but a 28 gm load at 60yrds through 1/2 choke will be much more open than a 34gm load which has more shot in it. Hence IMHO a mor effective killing load. 28 gm of shot size 5 will probably only have 140 pellets and 34 gms will wil have 170 ish Well 20% more anyway ;)

True but a 28 gm load at 60yrds through 1/2 choke will be much more open than a 34gm load which has more shot in it. Hence IMHO a mor effective killing load. 28 gm of shot size 5 will probably only have 140 pellets and 34 gms will wil have 170 ish Well 20% more anyway ;)

Yep not that much is it 30 pellets now put that through 3/4 or full choke even half you will only be getting a denser patten not a bigger spread with all the pellets carrying the same energy. Long range at pigeons i would not be using half but i would be using a tight choke. But that's my preference :good:

Err sorry just checked I think 28gm of shot size five is 200 pellets and 34 gm of shot size five is 240 pellets or there's about both good loads I'm sure but for me I find 240 pellets is better through 1/2 choke and will kill up to as far as I bother firing at things

Err sorry just checked I think 28gm of shot size five is 200 pellets and 34 gm of shot size five is 240 pellets or there's about both good loads I'm sure but for me I find 240 pellets is better through 1/2 choke and will kill up to as far as I bother firing at things

Its what you are confident with :good: . For me its 28g 5 3/4 full choke and this combination will kill out to long ranges :good:

Yeah any cart with 200 + pellets in it will pattern well !! Mind your probably a better shot than me! I reckon I'd never get many on target at the ranges of 3/4 and full chokes :( :lol:

:lol::good: not me mate couldn't hit a barn door :good: