Any other Scout leaders on PW?

cant hit rabbits 123

I'm the senior young leader for our groups Cub section, of which we have many, but the scouts are down to just 3. Yet only a few years ago we had 30 odd scouts! I'm 'chief quatermaster' (because I'm the only mildly organised one there!) and part of the finance committe, because our group has no money :no:

Edited by cant hit rabbits 123

no longer in uniform, but used to be a venture scout leader.

now am a fellowship, sorry s.a.s member.

still help out at our local group meetings, cubs mainly.

i loved my time while i went through guides and ventures,

my daughter was a beaver, now a cub, she`s looking forward

to going up to scouts, i hope she stays as enthusiastic about network

keep up the good work everyone

taggy

My lad has just started Beavers and he loves it. I was in cubs & scouts when i was a kid and had a great time. It's a briliant organisation for kids especially in this day and age..keep it going.

Well done everyone, :good:

I'm a scout leader in Cheshire. Our group has two troops meeting on two different nights, about 40 kids in total. Cubs and beaver sections are full too.

I think we're the largest group in the district now - just goes to show that contrary to popular belief, if you put on a relevant and packed programme, the young'uns are well up for it. Although I'd like to think it's the attitude and outlook of the leaders that makes us popular too. If you've been around the scouting community then you'll know what I mean - a good deal of leaders do a great job, but they're not really the kind of individuals that the scouts aspire to be.

This time last year I was the governor of a couple of schools, a county councillor and a scout leader. Due to time constraints and a baby on the way, I decided I needed to cull some of these. Scouts is the one I stuck with, because it give me the most reward.

I'm just back from a week away with them in the Lakes. We let them shoot, use knives, belay each other whilst climbing, light fires, shout a lot, etc, etc. They loved it. I'm still recovering...

And oddly, with all that on offer one of the most popular activities was "site service" where they spent an hour pulling roots out of the ground as favour/thanks for the campsite warden. Who says the youth of today are all bad?

Now...as I've only just got my hands on my SGC, if anyone feels they want to show me the ropes as thanks for what I've done for the community, then I'd be hard pushed to refuse such an offer... ;-)

It does indeed take a few days to recover from a camp of any length. Last time I went up to the Lakes with the Scouts (not cubs) we were hiking so they were mostly too tired for shouting. Still, they all love fire!

So I'm guessing alot of people in this thread are SGC/FAC holders? How many of you would take your Scouts clay or rifle shooting if you could? With the the exemption of the Bisley events, I don't think we as leaders can actually invole the scouts in live round shooting. Infact, I was told airguns of anything other than in the .177 springer catagory was banned from a Scout range? Any idea why the Assosiation is so heavily restriced in regards to shooting sports? I expect its something to do with health and safety and paperwork (Oh, the joys :blink: ).

if you put on a relevant and packed programme, the young'uns are well up for it. Although I'd like to think it's the attitude and outlook of the leaders that makes us popular too. If you've been around the scouting community then you'll know what I mean - a good deal of leaders do a great job, but they're not really the kind of individuals that the scouts aspire to be.

very true mate, and as you said a lot of the leaders are not people that the kids can easily relate to, we are very lucky to be in a pack with 2 young(ish) male leaders that try to inspire the kids and sometimes push the boundaries a bit, as a result we have a very full pack and have to run a waiting list for people wanting to join :good:

From POR:

k. Members may practise target shooting with firearms, whether requiring a Firearms Certificate or not, under any of the following circumstances:

as a member or guest of a club approved for this purpose by the Secretary of State for the relevant Government Department;

on Service premises under the supervision of an authorised member of the armed forces;

if the firearms are shotguns, clay pigeon shooting under the standards and controls of the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association;

Clay Pigeon Shooting is target shooting with shotguns at moving targets. It is an outdoor activity. The target is a ―clay‖ – a disc projected into the air or along the ground from a ―trap‖ and which breaks when hit. The national governing body is the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association (CPSA), Edmonton House, Bisley Camp, Brookwood, Woking, Surrey, GU24 0NP Tel: 01483 485400. Scouts may participate in clay pigeon shooting under the standards and controls of the CPSA. Assurance that these standards are being applied is most readily achieved by participation in the activity as a member or guest of an affiliated club.

The way I read that, is you can take them to a CPSA approved clay shooting ground. Not just under your 'care' (even though a CPSA member) whilst as a non-approved clay ground.

These CPSA registered shoots are in your area (assuming my detective work is correct and you are in/around Loughborough):

Grange Farm Sporting Clays

Hoton Clay Club

Huncote Sports and Social Gun Club

Kegworth Shooting Ground

Kibworth Shooting Ground

Normanton Shooting Ground

Quorn Gun Club

Spa Vale SHooting Ground

Edited by huffhuff

Ah ha! I also happen to be a member at Hoton clay club! This is excellent! Many, many thanks! I think I shall now return, armed this time with some good information, to my GSL and try to persuade him, as most of the scouts and recently departed scouts were all very enthusiastic about a clay shoot when I initially thought of it. On this rather up beat note, does anyone fancy having a Scout leaders shoot somewhere at some point? :good:

Remember that the DC is a volunteer just like you and I - there's no reason he/she will be bang up to date on every rule and regulation. So it's more likely that they're not sure than they're being deliberately obstructive. So I'd approach along the lines of "Did you know it's possible if...."

Also, I would recommend giving the info centre a call: 0845 300 1818. Explain the situation and they'll give you the full low down. This is exactly the kind of thing they're there for and I've found they bend over backwards to help.

And finally....let us know how you get on - I might try it with some of our lads if it goes down well for you.

Someone mentioned a Scout meet up. I'd be up for that - but as I'm based in Cheshire and the majority of other posters on this thread seem to be further south, the logistics may not work out.