Range Rover DHSE

Gordon R

A shooting mate went to look at a Range Rover - 2001 - auto. 90k miles with service history. He wants it to pull a twin axle caravan - pulling it with a short wheelbase Shogun at the moment.

We had a run out in it - possibly the slowest vehicle I have ever travelled in. It was allegedly chipped - she showed us the old chip. No pickup when it kicked down and acceleration was barely noticeable, even though you could hear the engine suddenly rev. Are they that slow? Motor was in fair nick and engine sounded very nice. I could not imagine it pulling the skin off a rice pudding.

Could anyone pass an opinion as to what they should be like compared to a Shogun? We drove home in the Shogun, which felt very lively by comparison.

the diesel is a p38 or range rover classic i think the mitz is a 2.8 and the rr is a 2.5 if you want one for towing get a hse v8 with lpg or get the mit engine put in the rr with a conversion plate i did was a hell of a beast

Can't say I know a lot about RR's but it sounds like the Gearbox needs an oil & Filter change.

No point in having extra power via a chip, If the gearbox isn't able to make best use of it.

I've got a 2001 DHSE auto (not chipped) and yes compared to a V8 petrol they appear very slow, look at the published performance data, without looking it up I think it's about 16 seconds 0 to 60 and a top speed of 100mph. The only relatively modern thing I have driven which felt slower was an original 2 litre diesel manual Freelander, kids on BMXs were overtaking that :lol::no::lol:

But two things, I 100% agree with the above, an oil and filter service of the auto box might transform it, even with that done they are still very sluggish when cold.

Secondly, if it is up to normal standard and not knackered then you do get used to it, lets be honest big 4x4's are not sports cars (well supercharged RRSs are) and IMHO should be driven in a more sedate, stately fashion, certainly helps with the MPG as well.

The boy, Son of Potter, had a SWB 2.5 diesel Paejero (Shogun) a while ago, I only drove it once or twice and it did feel a bit livelier but again, without checking, I guess it was best part of a tonne lighter than my RR.

I think the RR, if in good tune, will make a much more satisfactory towing vehicle.

Mr Potter

I've got a 2000 DHSE which is chipped and while it is a bit slow while cold (it has done 160k miles and so gearbox is a bit worn) it does pick up (a bit) when you stick your foot down BUT it is a 2 ton brick and is never going to be fast.

The 2.5 engine is underpowered for the size of the car but you learn to live with it and you can always knock it down a gear when you need a bit more speed for over taking.