BSA Meteor down on power

marmitemania

I have just come back from a gun auction where I purchased a BSA Meteor which looks almost identical to my MK5 although just a tad less chunky and with stylised script on the top part of the action also the barrel is about 1/2 an inch shorter, anyway cutting to the chase I tested the new rifle in the garden by firing into a catalogue and comparing it to mine, well I was shocked that it penetrated a good 20 or more pages than mine, now this is where im confused as mine has just had a new BSA standard spring fitted and while I was at it I fitted a new piston seal, that came from an O ring set I have in my workshop, it fitted nice and I lubricated everything with good quality gun oil, could the O ring be at fault or have I a duff spring, just a bit fazed as I have had this gun from new and the one from the auction is just a £35 snotter. Any thoughts welcome.

Maybe it's been fettled and is over power ?

Have you anyway to fire yours over a chrono' ?(as your location is in profile someone local to you might offer)

Either way, you don't want to get caught out IF its over 12ft/lbs and therefore subject to FAC

Edited by TaxiDriver

Could your new purchase have been tuned? Or does it smoke on firing indicating that some dipstick has put normal oil in it?-the resulting "dieseling" could be pushing up its power.You could swap springs and see if your original gun gains power-if not then its likely that you have nicked a piece off the new o ring when you fitted it or maybe you need look at your breach seal(often overlooked but vital).

I ordered a new breach seal when I got the spring, but it looked nothing like the seal thats in the loading end of the barrel am I looking at the wrong thing as it looked quite deep and I did not want too mackle up the old one getting it out if this was not the right seal. By the way the seal in the loading end of the barrel looks in good condition but is the original one and the gun is now 20 years old. Thanks for your replys chaps.

Not wanting to sound like an old moaner but if you've changedthe spring and not tested the power that's jst asking for trouble

imagine you got to court and you say I fitted a new spring but it only shoots through half a catalogue so I know its legal .

you really to test both over a chrono so you know their shooting consistent

What I ment by him not having a SGC is that there is not likely to be anybody sniffing around him checking guns, unlike myself and no doubt many others who keep their air rifles in the gun cabinets along with the shotguns. I dont have the equipment to test my gun.

Edited by marmitemania