Help me choose a range finder

30-6

Can't decide on which one to get, either MTC Optics Rapier 5-700 or Deben Hawke 400 or 600 (two models in the 600, one has a solar panel).

It will be used for sub 12 ft/lbs air, FAC air, .22 rimfire and .17 hmr rimfire and also as an aid to shotgun pellet fallout when decoying.

Every time I think right I've decided, I seem to read a review on another model which throws me. All seem to have good and bad points.

All input gratefully received as I'm rubbish making decisions sometimes. If anybody uses the mentioned models all comments good or bad welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I've got the MTC one, haven't looked through the others so can't comment on those I'm afaid. I use mine for the 1.77, 22lr & HMR (+ the 22-250 when I get the scope sorted)and wouldn't be without it.

Simple to use - select metres / yards; select your target and press the button (even I can use it ;-).

It struggles with targets over 400m/yds but I don't shoot that far so not bothered.

Battery shuts off it's not used so the battery lasts for ages (mines over 2 years old and not changed it yet!)

Not brilliant at low light but then I guess that is where the Leica / swarovski stuff come into their own. When I first bought it I was using it all the time (guessing the distance and then lasering it), although my guess-timates have improved, I still carry it in my left hand coat pocket.

Also, it's handy to scan the fields with rather than pointing the rifle everywhere.

Hope this helps

Hi

I've got the MTC one, haven't looked through the others so can't comment on those I'm afaid. I use mine for the .177, 22lr & HMR (+ the 22-250 when I get the scope sorted)and wouldn't be without it.

Simple to use - select metres / yards; select your target and press the button (even I can use it ;-).

Not brilliant at low light but then I guess that is where the Leica / swarovski stuff come into their own.

Also, it's handy to scan the fields with rather than pointing the rifle everywhere.

Hope this helps

Exactly what I have found too. I had a Leica one for a while but I was saving up for a .243 so I sold it. Image clarity was superb and great in low light but it was quite a bit bigger than my MTC. I still take my MTC every time I go out. Great to establish a few known distances when I'm laying up for reference later and very handy for having a quick scan round and it's small enough to fit snugly in your palm.

hi i have hawke pro 600 with the solar panel on side use it with my .22 and 17 hmr ,use it for scanning ahead looking for bunnies easier than keep looking through scope.extremely accurate measurements and although not illuminated still can use mine at night .they are advertised with having rain mode ect this is incorrect as new model does not have this feature.it has angle and hieght it tells you incine/decline angles and heights of banks /hills ect. but all in all very good for the price :good:

I recently replaced my Optisan RF, and I ended up with a Zeiss.

It may seem like a bit much for what you want but it is well worth it.

The Zeiss works accurately out to 1200 yards, and can even pick out the difference between bunnies at 700 yards, which are ten or twenty yards apart.

The optics are as clear as the Victory scopes, it works at night, it works through the windscreen of the truck, it works in bad weather, in fact the only time I can't tell if it works is in the fog.

You get what you pay for, and it was just under £500, so buy once cry once as the saying goes.