painting my truck nato green

12borejimbo

Hi all, I have been offered a cheap Suzuki SJ413, it was the soft top but has been made into a pickup, the colour is white (for the moment) but I want to paint it Nato Green and wanted to know what you guys did to paint yours and where the best place is to buy paint from and how much I will need for how many coats, it doest have to look mint because the truck is only costing me £450, just want to make it a bit more man like. :D

Yes you'll have to sand it, powersander or by hand, use wet&dry, take off the shine and any loose lacquer.

Use the small foam rollers for quick and easy coverage on larger surface areas, cut in smaller bits with brushwork, just a thought, search pw and you'll find several users that have done just this.

Hi,

Please feel absolutely free to totally ignore this as I could be well out of order, but just trying to be helpful. Be careful which paint you get as there's something at the back of my mind that suggests that the IRR version does not like going on top of other paints.

Cheers

No offence taken, thanks for the advice, much appreciated! :good:

Hi,

Please feel absolutely free to totally ignore this as I could be well out of order, but just trying to be helpful. Be careful which paint you get as there's something at the back of my mind that suggests that the IRR version does not like going on top of other paints.

Cheers

Old style cellulose type paints don't like going ontop of oil based synthetic type paints and can react by crazing, cracking or bubbling.

More modern Nato green type paints are designed to cover most things.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Old style cellulose type paints don't like going ontop of oil based synthetic type paints and can react by crazing, cracking or bubbling.

More modern Nato green type paints are designed to cover most things.

Yep, splashed a fair bit of it around myself (spread over 20+ years, I started off touching up the blue paint on RAF ground equipment, then painting it all anti- collision yellow, then "tone down" green which everyone started driving into at night, so then had to daub a yellow stripe on everything) but as all of it wasn't IRR, that version, given a choice should, perhaps, be avoided. However, my original opening phrase remains valid.

I used a 5 ltr tin from here. . . . . http://www.anchorsupplies.com/paint.htm

It managed 2 coats on my Jimny.

I rubbed the car down with some wet and dry 800 grit sand paper, only to take the sheen off, you dont need to go down to bare metal.

The time consuming part is removing or masking up the lights/ windows etc. Its worth taking your time here so it doest end up looking like a bunch of 5 year olds painted it.

You will also need a few packets of 4'' foam rollers, when they get soggy they start to fall apart and the paint starts to smear on rather than roll on, which is what gives a nice even finish.

I managed to do mine in a weekend, on my drive way :good:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/130426-painted-the-jimny/page__view__findpost__p__1119429

Have fun :good: