Springer Retrieving Problems

leonp9lbw

Help required , I have a two year old ESS and id doing well in all aspects of training except retrieving.He just does not seem interested and will only pick up dummies in doors. As soon as I take him outside he will sit, watch the flight and on command run straight to the mark. However he will not pick it up and just runs round ignoring it.

I have no Idea how to correct this any ideas greatly appreciated.

Help required , I have a two year old ESS and id doing well in all aspects of training except retrieving.He just does not seem interested and will only pick up dummies in doors. As soon as I take him outside he will sit, watch the flight and on command run straight to the mark. However he will not pick it up and just runs round ignoring it.

I have no Idea how to correct this any ideas greatly appreciated.

Try a rabbit skin or a pigeon wing or two laccy banded on to the dummy......if he's a little unsure with fur/feather get a pair of tights to cover the dummy.

Hey man,

How long has he been doing this?

Try and maybe make the dummy more interesting with like a rabbit skin,

does he retrieve a tennis ball ?

Yeh he will retrieve a tennis ball and like and I said he will pick up and return a dummy indoors, it is as if he just wants to hunt whist outside. I have no idea how to correct this.

Get him to hunt the dummy maybe try putting the dog out of sight so he doesn't see where you put the dummy then get him to hunt it up if that doesn't work you could get the dog to sit next to you and you sit on the floor as well so you don't look too intimidating, throw the dummy a little way and just hold the dog back so he gets really keen and eager to go then let him of use the command you use to bring the tennis ball back and just keep praising!!!!

Good luck mate.

However he will not pick it up and just runs round ignoring it.

when hes doing this , his is nose down hunting , maybe too much sent , much more interesting than a soggy dummy.

got back to tennis ball and try and gee him up then try one of those elongated tennis balls , my youngest springer was the same :unsure:

although shes carried dead game , she does,nt get excited by it , but if its game scent shes head down hunting :yes:

i ended up doing short retrieves say 5 feet away once she had it in her mouth i would run a few steps away and really encouraging her to come along and then gives loads and loads of praise.

now she'll go out and retrieve anything and if she doesnt i,ll take her to it and pop it in her mouth and back away calling her to me making it fun .

one more thing always make sure he brings it to hand , do not pick it up if dropped at your feet , another big mistake i made , but now cured .

cheers

Give him no hunting until his retrieving is sorted.

Walk him on the lead.

Do retrieve training in areas with no hunting distractions (car park, quiet road etc).

Start off with sit, stay, recall - no dummy.

Will he hold a dummy? If so, do sit, stay, recall all with a dummy in his mouth.

Then send him for a retrieve.

Fairly typical behaviour for a spaniel who's first love is hunting and hasn't had the retrieving basics put in at an early enough age IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

My springer bitch won't retrieve either. Up until her first birthday training was going fine gave her dummies once or twice during training and she retreived no bother. Then after her first season she just stopped retrieving won't even go near a dummy.

You need to teach the reverse retrieve, starting with getting her to hold the dummy. releasing it only when you give the correct command. I have just gone through this with my young pup.

I will try and type up how I got mine retrieving.

It starts with training her to hold the dummy and using a clicker and treats. It is a long process and needs to be done in stages.

Give him no hunting until his retrieving is sorted.

Walk him on the lead.

Do retrieve training in areas with no hunting distractions (car park, quiet road etc).

Start off with sit, stay, recall - no dummy.

Will he hold a dummy? If so, do sit, stay, recall all with a dummy in his mouth.

Then send him for a retrieve.

Fairly typical behaviour for a spaniel who's first love is hunting and hasn't had the retrieving basics put in at an early enough age IMHO.

As above pretty much, by the way Never ever give treats for retrieving just praise - otherwise you will get half retrieves and poor delivery as the dog starts spitting out dummies so it can eat its expected treat.

The advice that WGD posts is good but dont forget to show him what you want him to do,so if he will,make him sit at heel,then throw the dummy a short distance and retrieve it yourself,then do it again throwing it in a different direction,then again,and again,then let him have a go,sit on the floor with your legs open to guide him in with plenty of praise,how long has he been retrieving the dummy in the house?,my bet is since he was a pup when you where playing with him,just because he is growing up dont assume he can do the same outside,so if neccessary go right back to basics,and make it fun!!

My lab was doing this until about a week ago, I was walking him in heavily used fields by other dogs and the smells were getting the better of him.

On advice took him to one of my permissions in a game scent environment and he hadn't dropped a dummy since, he becomes a totally different dog........ May be worth a try :hmm::good: