Damascus Barrels

Maidment78

I was in the shop today wit a friend who has just bought his first gun, I tagged along to give moral support as he has sod all idea what was going on (like I do) and was woried he would make a **** of himself or buy the wrong thing, anyway, he got a lovely new toy, all the bits and did not shut up all the wat home so off out tomorrow to use it.

However, while I was there I was having a nose about like you do and happened apon a corner with some good old english side by side guns and was considering what parts my wife would cut off when I then saw a stunning gun with damascus barrels, it was a hammer but took modern carts I believe and was stunning, more than stunning, it was beyond words, issue was the stock was a little short at 14" 1/4 but not massively out.

It was not cheap, in fact it was very far the other side of not cheap but looked so good and I have not used the credit card for such a long time.

I am genuinly tempted but did the sensible thing and left, question is, is there anyone on here that really knows about these guns and what should I look out for, should I leave well alone and continue to use my O/U that is very well fitted and well made or is there a place for one of these guns still?

They certainly have a place but I would suggest doing some research both on older guns and that particular one. The maker,condition and originality have a big bearing on "value" if it has been nitroproofed you need to know when it was done and why, are the barrels sleeved? If so by whom? Pitted? How badly? Is the action in good order or very worn? Is the wood oil stained and likely to split or overly dry and about crack? It's like buying an old car some are one owner for 30 years no expense spared and polished every week, others money pits of filler and newspaper!

But if you love it buy it!

I grew up with a hammer gun and can't get the look of it out of my system, but apart from anything else I would find the sight picture obstructed by the cocked hammers now that i shoot only o/u, and I would worry about the safety aspect of cocked hammers, even though I know they are robust and can be uncocked perfectly well - if you careful and have a reasonably strong thumb - whilst the gun is still loaded.

HDAV has some good points. I have had several hammers proofed for nitro and they are good fun and attract a lot of attention on a shoot. If it is being sold through a dealer it has to be in proof, but might be close to the line. A good dealer will talk it through with you and let you know how much meat is left on the bone and what that means in terms of shot life (roughly). A rough rule of thumb, is that if you can shave with the muzzle, forget it!

Ok, once you happy with the barrels, Check the action is not wobbling around (grip stock and barrel and twist in opp directions. It shouldn't move).

Look for cracks in metal/wood. take barrel off, check underside rust is often more obvious there. Check forestock for damage, rust etc.

Ok so far, then look at the method of opening. If top lever, does it interfer with the right hammer? If so, then best leave it. Makes it difficult to unload safely. most other methods are ok and side lever, best of all in my view. Under lever (Jones type for example) also good.

Otherwise a lot of what is said about hammers and safety is not true. They are often safer than modern guns as you always know if it is cocked or not and can uncock too. If you can open the gun whilst cocked then you can lower the hammers with no risk.

when shooting some hammers can spoil the line of sight, but some old shooters found them great for estimating the lead at set distances.

Oh and ask what the best loads are for your gun. standard loads will be fine, but nothing too exciting! Checked the length of cartridge it will take.Some were proofed at 2 and a half inches, but most now will be proofed at 2 and 3 quarters.

Can't think of anything else at present, but if you get it and want to know more about it send me the details.

Mart :hmm:

Edited by MartB

I grew up with a hammer gun and can't get the look of it out of my system, but apart from anything else I would find the sight picture obstructed by the cocked hammers now that i shoot only o/u, and I would worry about the safety aspect of cocked hammers, even though I know they are robust and can be uncocked perfectly well - if you careful and have a reasonably strong thumb - whilst the gun is still loaded.

On my hammerguns x3 when the hammers are cocked they are back out of sight picture, unless you have fired one side, the good thing here is if fired in heat of moment there is no pulling the same trigger twice as you can see which barrel has been let loose. As far as safety goes you can see the gun is cocked not like others, and as long as you point gun up de-cocking is no prob's you try de-cocking a new shotgun? Just break gun first then de-cock hammers then no chance of discharge. That is another thing to look out for on a worn top leaver gun that you can break gun with hammers back, because on some worn guns the right hammer will foul the top leaver when pushing over and will need sorting. Just noticed MartB as mentioned some of this.

Edited by Browning GTS

Thanks guys,

Showed the wife some photos and to my suprise she said it was a very pretty thing. Think that might be sort of an ok you can have it sort of thing. Will do some reading up and let yo know how I get on,

Paul.

Paul, get all the details for the s/s and then check it out with Mike before you spend your cash. Bob.

Some good guidance here. I have used an 1870 12 bore push forward E.M. Reilly hammergun with Damascus barrels for most of my shooting the past three seasons and love using it. I spent a long time researching the market, attending auctions etc, and focused on quality over name. There are some truly stunning quality guns made by provincial "non name" makers which retain a superb level of originality and will make any owner proud, as well as retaining their value. They are a pleasure to use, not really slower to use if you take your time and concentrate, and generally with little choke, are spot on for everyday game/pigeon/rough shooting.

If the gun is going to cost you a decent amount, consider using an independent gun checker/reviewer to give you comfort about the purchase. A good friend of mine - Diggory Hadoke - offers this service and gives a great deal of peace of mind for a very low price. He is very well respected in the trade as to his knowledge of historical guns, esp hammerguns (read his book for some insight)and so may be worth a thought.

If you use your hammergun down below the sea wall however, make sure you clean it thoroughly afterwards. I use a Damascus barrelled 8 bore and make very sure I clean it thoroughly upon return - they don't make Damascus like they used to (unless you want to pay £104k for the Purdey Damascus barrelled over and under!).

Re Damascus, also be aware there are literally hundreds of different types, some absolutely stunning in looks and complexity. Have a look here to learn more - http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html

Edited by CBL