Keeping a call bird through the winter

Yes, why not. I don't know the legality, but I know a lot who do and they become very tame, so, depends on your heart, next year, whether to use them. (Yes, even a Yorkshireman has a heart, unless it's my pacemaker :rolleyes: )

You need a good sized aviary. Shelter, water and dried dog food(Bakers), crows and maggies thrive on it.

Joking and legality apart, it saves trying to catch up call birds the following year, BUT, the territorial instinct may have gone and not do it's job.

Either kill it or let it go…cruelty to animals should not be something we condone. It’s a wild creature that's been born and raised in the wild, caging it for any length of time will send it off it’s mind! You've only got to watch call birds in Larsen Traps to see the classic symptoms. Like some zoo animals!

Yes they can be tamed/domesticated as captive birds (even taught to mimic your speech)but from a young age.

Either kill it or let it go…cruelty to animals should not be something we condone. It’s a wild creature that's been born and raised in the wild, caging it for any length of time will send it off it’s mind! You've only got to watch call birds in Larsen Traps to see the classic symptoms. Like some zoo animals!

Yes they can be tamed/domesticated as captive birds (even taught to mimic your speech)but from a young age.

i must say i dont agree with the first bit mate

Could be wrong, but I think it is illegal to keep them by virtue of the Wildlife and Countryside Act.In principle, it`s the part about not trapping wild birds and then keeping them in permanent captivity.

It`s the same reason you no longer see, for instance, Linnets in cages.

Could be wrong, but I think it is illegal to keep them by virtue of the Wildlife and Countryside Act.In principle, it`s the part about not trapping wild birds and then keeping them in permanent captivity.

It`s the same reason you no longer see, for instance, Linnets in cages.

I have to say in light of your posts,:- it wont be frightened by fireworks on bonfire night

• 2 weeks later...