Salami

njc110381

Hey guys. I've been thinking today that I'd really like to have a go at making some salami. Not fussed what sort and I've looked it up on the 'net, but I'm still unsure of the technique.

A lot of the recipes seem to suggest that you just salt the meat, mix with fat and spices and then hang it up to dry? And that white mould is ok? All sounds a bit scary to me and I don't want to poison myself so thought I'd ask here before giving it a go!

Can anyone offer advice for a complete novice? I'd really appreciate any info you may have.

Have made bresaola with beef had good results and did the same method with duck and venison with a good degree of success ,you make boil a brined red wine and root veg curing liquor cool and soak the meat in it then air dry in muslin,trim and slice,

I am doing a dry cured duck at present,with coriander seed sugar,chilli and maldon sea salt,but if I press it I don't need to air dry it