Altering a stock for a 10yr old

I bought a 20g Rezzini to try and encourage my 10yr old son to come out to local clay shoot with me,

trouble is I think he still finds it to big (a bit ungainly) I don't know if its overall length or length of pull.

On a recent visit to the new branch of Essex Gun at 'The Fennes' shooting ground the guy there suggested having the stock shortened and a new pad fitted for around £73 which doesn't seem to bad cost wise and they have a 'stocker' there on a Saturday who could presumably take a look at the gun and how it fits my son(or not as case maybe)

My concern is that the gun stands me in around £300 plus whatever it costs to alter, IF I go this route am I going to make the gun undesirable, resellable.

Opinions welcomed......

I bought a 20g Rezzini to try and encourage my 10yr old son to come out to local clay shoot with me,

trouble is I think he still finds it to big (a bit ungainly) I don't know if its overall length or length of pull.

On a recent visit to the new branch of Essex Gun at 'The Fennes' shooting ground the guy there suggested having the stock shortened and a new pad fitted for around £73 which doesn't seem to bad cost wise and they have a 'stocker' there on a Saturday who could presumably take a look at the gun and how it fits my son(or not as case maybe)

My concern is that the gun stands me in around £300 plus whatever it costs to alter, IF I go this route am I going to make the gun undesirable, resellable.

Opinions welcomed......

If the alteration is done well the wood that is taken off can be added back therefore allowing the gun to grow with your son.

If the alteration is done well the wood that is taken off can be added back therefore allowing the gun to grow with your son.

Thats a very good point Terry, thank you. :good:

I hadn't considered that as an option, I had visions of just being left with a 20g O/U with a stock that looks a bit peculiar when shortened, (the guy at the shop did show us a 20g that had been shortened for a girl similar age to my son and it just looked a bit wrong).

What about getting a cheap baikal etc and doing the same? You can pick these up for very reasonable money so it would not be a great loss if its value was reduced. By all accounts they are good guns as well if just a little plain!

Gaz

Or get webley that's already to rock with 2 stock lengths guns for young shooters are difficult as managing fit is like clothes I have clothes that still fit I bought 10 years ago the same won't be true for son! Every 6 moths the stock will probably need to be a bit longer and as strength a muscle memory improves he will soon be on a 12 bore? What I can't understand is why grounds don't have 8+ adjustable stock guns in various LOP and bores that you can hire even at £10 a time you would have to use it alot to get close to buying and adapting one every time they grew!

The guy that you are talking about is Jim Spalding and is one of the best. I'm taking a little 410 to him to be shortened for my daughter. I have seen some of his other work and it's fantastic.

The gun we were shown in the shop was one that he'd done.

Went back this Saturday AM to see the man himself and we're having our 20g Rezzini shortened by about an inch and a new, better more absorbant pad fitted for the grand sum of £73, will be keeping the removed piece to be refitted as my son grows.