Rabbit Prices

rem700

Hi All

I went to my local butcher to ask if he wants some fresh rabbits. He does and will pay £1 each but they must be paunched AND skinned. I know that paunching is the norm as I do that in the field but skinning it as well was not expected. He said it was to do with Health and Safety, they cannot skin on the premises. Is this Bull###t?

Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers

Roger

it's a bit of a funny one.

£1 is normal for paunched in the skin.

Legally unless you have a food certificate you cannot supply it skinned - it has to be in the fir.

But butchers can no longer legally receive things in the fir - so what normally happens - is they take them in the fur (off record) and skin themselves before introducing to the shop.

I rang Garretts of Flore recently to be told they were paying 60p for a fresh rabbit and 20p for a frozen one :o

That would mean about 50 frozen rabbits just to pay the petrol to get there :angry:

I've ended up giving them away just so they're used as much as I can and have left loads dead on the fields, the farmers want them clearing as a pest.

I've had the best part of 300 in the last couple of months and its going to be the same with the pigeons now, I left 15 of those unpicked in the swathed rape today cos I can only use so many and a trip to the game dealer just isn't worth the trouble.

I carnt find anywhere to get rid of mine in west Sussex if anyone knows where I can sell em please let me know!

Try Chanctonbury Game, if not there must be half a dozen farm shops near you that would take them. My usual game dealer didn't want any last week as the restaurant he has been selling them to has changed their menu (I get £1.50 paunched and skinned), so I phone the closest farm shop and they had 10 off me at £2 each. :good: