First Sheath Finished

Paul T

Well, it's taken me an age to finish the sheath to go with the knife :blush:.

I've had odd delays in waiting for thread and drill bits - drilling was the only way I could find to hole the leather after a lot of experimentation! Then there's been the 'time' issue, as there never seems to be enough time to do anything these days :yes: .

I looked at various designs for the sheath, but all of them had a loop for belt fastening. Since my belt is forming an increasingly structural purpose for my expanding middle, undoing and re-doing unnecessarily is something I can do without - especially in the middle of a field :lol:. Hence the decision to go with my own modification to clip on and off a belt loop, which works really well.

As with the knife, there were some lessons learned :yes: and I'm sure I can improve the overall finish with subsequent ones, but overall I'm fairly happy with this one as a first.

Anyways, here's some photos of the finished job...

post-23045-0-84834400-1310908157.jpg

Thats a good job, how did you stitch the sheaf?

Drilled the holes with a 1mm drill bit then got a linen thread with 2 needles off fleabay. Just started by hand from one end with a simple running stitch (I think that's what it's called) and when I got to the other end just continued back and filled in the missing stitches until I got back to the start.

Occasionally the needle had to be aided by pliers, but on the whole it was pretty easy going, even in 4mm thick leather.

Good work on the knife and sheath, the knife is particularly attractive with those red liners.

LePrevo have a bunch of tools and materials for sheath making if you want to make more (buying a shoulder veg tan hide is a good idea and economical), and useful books too. The saddle stitch is the one you need for most leather projects, but what you've done will work in a similar fashion, if you cut any stitch the whole thing won't unravel. :good:

A class first knife and sheath, I'd be well pleased that. :D