It should have been 5

welsh1

The first night that there hasn't been a gale blowing for ages,and after having a chat with the manager of the chicken farm,where he said there seemed to be an explosion of foxes,off i set.

When i got there i was getting ready in a field and a small cat became my best friend,and decided the back of the van was the perfect place to live,they can move fast when they don't want to leave

Started to walk round and within a few minutes saw foxy,but there was no safe shot,this seemed to set the trend for the next couple of hours,i saw 7 foxes,no safe shot,or running like hell the other way,i could hear a couple having a fight a few fields away,and when i got there i had a pair of eyes in the corner,safe shot,but open ground,i gave a couple of squeaks,but no movement,then a second set of eyes appeared,one squeak and it came running across the field,it stopped about 40yds away looking for the mouse and was dispatched,was a young vixen,the eyes in the hedge disappeared,but it was mum because she started to bark for the cub to come back.

img1494y.jpg

Into another field and this fox never knew i was there,a young dog,about 60yds concentrating on getting into the chicken sheds.

img1495w.jpg

Then the one that got away,i was sitting by a shed when i looked across and there was a fox 50yds away,lined up on fox and it posed for me,took the shot,and there was a louder bang than usual,and the round sounded like a Catherine wheel going off,and foxy didn't even flinch,at this point two things go through my mind

1,its dead it will fall over

2,you are a pathetic shot give up shooting :lol:

Foxy still hadn't seen or smelt me and strolled passed,i got up and from about 20yds pulled the trigger into it's shoulder,again the same loud bang weird bullet noise,and no reaction from foxy,not until i very loudly say a word that rhymes with cluck :D

I go to a corner of the field and first thing check the mod,all good,barrel no blockage,put up a target,three shots,all nice and tight and on target,i went back to find the spent cartridges,i found one,and BINGO a split in the case, :no: so i can now join the club.

p1010330c.jpg

p1010332fw.jpg

10 minutes later i walk into another field,and mum scurries off a waste mound calling like mad,one cub follows her,but the other starts trotting toward me,i shouted at it 20yds out and dispatched it.Another young vixen,mum hung around calling but was impossible to get a shot in.

img1497b.jpg

One last walk around the fields,and i spotted a large fox in the middle of the field,i got down and waited and about 70yds out he got one in his ear,turned out to be a dog,and had a large tick in the other ear.

img1498ym.jpg

So a good night out,mostly young,but they will squeeze into the chicken sheds or take the chickens in the fields.

The estate manager will be out and about in the areas where the vixens are and will no doubt clear them up.I saw 16 foxes that night,so there will be an on going problem for a good while yet.

Thanks for reading.

What a very impressive result mate, well done! :good:

When one gets away I don't over worry myself about it, it is still going to be there another day - Sooner or later it will make a fatal mistake! :yes:

Cheers Frenchi,

Getting away wasn't the annoying part,as you say he will be there another day,it was that rounds that i paid good money for were defective,and from what people are reporting its a common occurrence.thinking back the last week or so i have had a couple of these,as a lad i was shooting with commented on how loud some rounds sounded,and it was always a miss,but i put that down to my shooting,from now on i will check every spent case that makes an out of the ordinary sound.