CrayFishing With bakerboy

Billy.

I have spoken to the environment agency today, they have given me some info that I thought I would pass on. Unfortunately they have stopped all trapping of signal crayfish on the river test, itchen,meon and the hamble (most of the rivers round here) they also said that drop nets also need to be licensed.

I don't know how much of this info was accurate from my local fisheries officer ! Some I found a little difficult to believe. They said thier remit is to stop the spread of the invasive fungus but not the breeding and general control that the signal crayfish has. Thier argument for this is the native crayfish is still to prolific here to justify the risks associated with potentially harming them whilst trapping :hmm: basically I was given the impression that my attempts to do this were pretty pointless as there are no areas locally to trap !! The nearest place will be west Sussex ................GUTTED :no:

That's a real shame...

Terry was saying that the local fisheries officer popped past a little while ago whilst they were catching crayfish and the bloke wished them well and went on his way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a real shame...

Terry was saying that the local fisheries officer popped past a little while ago whilst they were catching crayfish and the bloke wished them well and went on his way.

I found what he was saying very much an anti opinion and he was putting barriers up at every question I had :hmm: I may be wrong but that's how it seemed . I think I will still apply and see how it goes :good:

I have spoken to the environment agency today, they have given me some info that I thought I would pass on. Unfortunately they have stopped all trapping of signal crayfish on the river test, itchen,meon and the hamble (most of the rivers round here) they also said that drop nets also need to be licensed.

I don't know how much of this info was accurate from my local fisheries officer ! Some I found a little difficult to believe. They said thier remit is to stop the spread of the invasive fungus but not the breeding and general control that the signal crayfish has. Thier argument for this is the native crayfish is still to prolific here to justify the risks associated with potentially harming them whilst trapping :hmm: basically I was given the impression that my attempts to do this were pretty pointless as there are no areas locally to trap !! The nearest place will be west Sussex ................GUTTED :no:

Hmmmmmm... not right levelling it all at anglers. The fungus can survive without a host and out of water for upto a month. This would suggest that ALL recreational activities should be banned in the fungus free rivers to prevent contamination.

A freind of mine in the EA suggests that they are quite anti the removal of the signals in some areas full stop. The theory behind it is that given the Signal's tendancy to predate on their own young the populations tend to stabilise without the need of human intervention.

Edited by ack-ack

Hi Billy

My brother went to the same spot for just over the hour this morning, and had 60 plus, and he tells me me larger than last weeks catch.

How have you been getting on with your new nets?

I was eyeing up the River Ver, but it would seem the great success is generated by putting nets down overnight.

I drove past Stanborough Lakes the other day and wondered if that'd be any good for crayfishing...