CrayFishing With bakerboy

Billy.

A first for me - going fishing for crayfish. I honestly didn't know what to expect..!

bakerboy kindly offered me the chance to go out with him and try to catch some crayfish. I couldn't resist, so I was at his for 9am this morning.

I can honestly say that this will be a new hobby that I'll be taking up. The simplicity of the whole operation and the overall satisfaction is overwhelming.

We were catching plenty to begin with and within a couple of hours had three buckets of them, all scuttling around and surprisingly aggressive! The local kids/parents/OAPs seemed amazed at our efforts and bakerboy was not shy to show the kids how to catch them :good:

We packed up after a couple of hours. It seemed the bait may have lost it's taste, or just that we'd managed to clear them out sufficiently :rolleyes: About a dozen that got away, but a total bag of 39 :D

bakerboy unexpectedly gave me the entire bag to take home with me - something I am very grateful of - he took several hours out of his day to show me how it all works and didn't even want to take any of the catch. I am forever indebted to him for this :good:

Whilst it's not what I'd consider a decent photo of me, here's us on the riverbank and a very mean crayfish

7470c088.jpg

0b729261.jpg

Took that catch home and got them in the pot. Here's the full lineup

7a336b0b.jpg80920b54.jpg

The girlfriend searched online for a crayfish recipe and the first one that came up was Axe's on PW, so we made this one

Courtesy of the missus, it turned out like this :D

df512fe1.jpg

Once again, a massive thanks to bakerboy - a true gentleman who is willing to go out the way for others and is a proper laugh :good: :good:

Edited by Billy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Billy

I spoke with my brother Alan last night, his catch was 30, so between us that was a total catch of 69, not bad for a couple of hours out. I hope the meal was as tasty as it looked.

Terry

edit was to correct mistake in addition

Edited by bakerboy

The licence is free. You just need to fill in a form from defra/environment agency. Tell them where you'll be dropping your nets etc.. They then send you some tags to put on your nets/pots.

Happy catching...and eating!

Useful PDF for those now interested...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/crayfish_and_river_users_pdf.pdf

Edited by huffhuff

The licence is free. You just need to fill in a form from defra/environment agency. Tell them where you'll be dropping your nets etc.. They then send you some tags to put on your nets/pots.

May be a silly question but do you need permission from the river owner and what type of nets do you use ? :good:

Useful PDF for those now interested...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/crayfish_and_river_users_pdf.pdf

Interesting stuff, good link. :good:

Nice one guys! You're doing the water a big favour by having a few of them out, and they taste amazing too don't they?! A local sandwich bar serves up Crayfish salad on fresh french bread - it's the filling I have every time I drop in!

After all of that though, I've never fished for them! They taste great and I know of a water my dad's fishing club runs that is full of them. I really should get out and catch a few, especially if this netting technique doesn't require any form of license.

A great write up which I very much enjoyed reading. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the kit used?

Let us know how you get on.

Taking the nippers is only an excuse to get out.

Ssshhhhh don't tell anyone :lol: he is also hoping to give up football and come shooting.... That will be a great day but I'll let him decide in his own time .