problams with 10/22

cockercas

I have a 10/22 that jams on every shot. Before I got it hadn't been shot in years. It wouldn't group anything better then 4inch. I cleaned the barrel and striped down the action the best I could and scraped out all the crud. Greased it back up and put it back together. When it shoots it looks like the bolt is scraping the case on the next round and not ejecting the spent round and sometimes loading several rounds can any one help.

Could be a number of things, from the tension of the mag spring to the ammo, have a look on youtube and follow a stripdown guide.

The 10-22 is really a simple rifle when it comes to moving parts, they also like to run virtually lube free preventing crud build up.

I`m sure it`s nothing too serious.

Hi

After a thorough cleaning check the extracter is OK , make sure the chamber is spotless , dont use grease try silicone oil sparingly , make sure there are no burrs in the action even polish the interior of the action polish the bolt return spring rod , basicly polish everything and get it all as slick as possible have a look round on the Ruger forum or some of the US forums for ways to trick it up .

Dave

Once you've cleaned it till it's absolutely spotless (with no grey waxy buildup or carbon in sight), then lightly oiled it (a wipe, don't use grease)...

If it's still hanging up, try some different ammunition, some 10/22s can be ammunition sensitive - especially rounds with/without bullet lube.

Failing that then every conceivable 10/22 problem can be researched at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Stick with it, they are lovely guns to shoot once you get them going!

:)

I have a 10/22 that jams on every shot. Before I got it hadn't been shot in years. It wouldn't group anything better then 4inch. I cleaned the barrel and striped down the action the best I could and scraped out all the crud. Greased it back up and put it back together. When it shoots it looks like the bolt is scraping the case on the next round and not ejecting the spent round and sometimes loading several rounds can any one help.

Don't put grease any where near it mate - it won't work cos it needs to be slick - almost dry. A stock 10/22 should be able group inside an inch at 50yds. Make sure once you have cleaned it properly that you tighten the screws (only one if I remember correctly) and check your scope mount screws are tight and the base. Also make sure that you are not mixing ammo whilst zeroing. Rotary mags that have been put in pockets collect grit and cause feeding probs - you can take them apart with an Allen key but be careful they are spring loaded and it will spin around in your fingers. If you have done all that and it still only groups inside 4inch then chuck it in bin and buy a bolt action CZ. Lol

Glad your getting there, I have a standard barrel 10-22 and I get groups well under 1 inch @ 50yards with CCI Minimags, as mentioned I have polished nearly eveything I can and run it virtually dry.

It`s not often I clean the barrel but I do service the magazines regulary, easy to do yourself if you follow instructions off the net, you`ll be suprised how much crude gets inside them, nature of 22 ammo.

Mine was constantly jamming when using subs but cycled fine when using target loads. I took it to the gun shop a few weeks ago and they did somthing to the spring so that it now cycles them no problem at all. I think they either cut a bit off it or replaced it withh a new one. I also got the trigger replaced as it was incredilbly heavy and the total bill was £75.