Anyone been on a cruise?

Blunderbuss

We're off on Cruise in a couple weeks time and I'm not totally sure we've done the right thing :hmm: We've jumped in at the deep end too, going for three weeks instead of a short taster. We're sailing from Southhampton to the Med and Black sea and flying back from Rome. We're visiting lots of places I haven't been to, so I will enjoy that, though we'll try to escape and do our own thing rather than being herded around on the organised tours. It's more life aboard I'm a bit wary of, I have a nightmare image of hordes of huge, loud septics gorging on the buffet, the entire cast of Benidorm and an army of blue rinses and mad old Colonels in blue blazers watching x-factor rejects in cabaret! :oops:

I'm sure I'm worrying unduly and I'll love it, but just wondered how many have done it and what you made of it?

The folks are habitual cruisers. From the way they bang on about it there are lots of things you pick up when you've been on a few but the most obvious ones are often the most commonly overlooked by the punters. Half of the **** wits on these things think that its an excuse to address they staff like they are personal servants. They don't get the best service as a result.

Manners, appreciation and pleasant banter go a long way. Don't have to lecture you on those I'm sure BB :D

Been on loads - like any holiday, it is what you make it. I am 56 and I travel with my 30-year old daughter, so there are things for all ages/tastes. At least in eurozone, you can usually go off and explore on your own safely, just make sure you get back to the ship in plenty of time, they won't wait for you! :lol: On board - yes, you will get the usual mix of people, but on most of the ships there are plenty of places to escape. you will get a chance to eat at a table where they mix people from different country/ age groups, or you can have a chance to have a table to yourself, if you wish. If not, the buffet is usually really good and they don't run out. A lot depends on the cruise line, some have cinemas with fairly recent films on, some have in- cabin film channels. There are usually between 3 and five bars and lounges where you can usually sit and have a drink in peace, if you really don't want to talk to someone. If it is something you enjoy, they usually run afternoon quizzes/ bingo etc :oops: and if the sun is out, go onto the pool deck and read a good book (there is usually a library of sorts on board) whilst you top up your tan.

Most of the tips are the same as any other holiday abroad, but here are a few things we found useful:-

DO:

- Make sure you get your GP to prescribe you some anti-puke pills if you are in any way unsure about your tolerance for sea-sickness, the ship's doctor will charge you up to £60 for an anti-nausea injection!

- Take a photocopy/copies of your passport, some countries ask for one when you disembark and some ships charge you for the copies, also it is a useful form of ID if you get stuck anywhere.

- take a camera with plenty of memory cards.

- Take a few cards/slips with your name/email/phone no on, we have made some good friends around the world who we now go and visit - now we swap for free board holidays in the USA/Canada/Australia - great! Also, some people may have got some better pictures of a location and you can swap pictures by email later.

- Keep an eye on your bar bill, with a cashless economy, it is easy to drink yourself into your overdraft!

- Be polite and respectful to the staff, their pay is **** and they work up to 20-hour days for up to three months at a time, 7 days a week. They will really try to look after you if you are ok with them.

- Find a bar you like and tip the waiter occasionally, they will make sure you get REALLY good amounts of spirits in your cocktail if you do (Try a Long Island iced tea! :drool: ).

- Read up on the ports before you go, you can often walk into town, without paying £10 for the shuttle bus, ALWAYS take a piece of paper with the name of the ship and port/dock on it (Pref in the local language), in case you have language problems with the local taxi drivers. The ships often provide local maps free with this information, on the morning you dock.

- Take one or two voltage converters. there are usually at least two sockets per cabin, one of which will be 240V and the other may be 110V, - fine for charging iPad/iPod/ laptop etc.

- As you are sailing from the UK, put 3 or four 2 litre bottles of water in your luggage, they will charge you around £3 for a bottle in your cabin. Also, take a sports bottle with you, they have cold water dispensers on board, so you can discreetly fill up before leaving the ship, the prices can go up a lot in port when 2000 people get off the ship!

DO NOT:

- Get too drunk and behave like a ***** - drunk is fine, but badly behaved is not, they WILL throw you off at the next port!

- Worry about dressing for dinner etc, smart/casual is fine except for the Captain's dinner once a week, and if you don't have a dicky bow, just use the buffet that night - sorted!

- Forget sun cream, you can really burn at sea, as the breezes can stop you feeling the burn.

Other than that, have a great time and see some great sights - oh, and post some pics on here when you get back!

Edited by Bloke

Some top advice there Bloke, thanks :good: . I'm 47 (hard paper round alright <_< ) and the Mrs is 45 so I ' spose part of my concern is that I'm too young to go on a cruise :yp: I remember feeling like this, quite a few years ago when I started listening to radio 2, and more recently radio 4 :oops: Is it a slipery slope to crown green bowling, crimplene slacks and drinking mild? :hmm:

Some top advice there Bloke, thanks :good: . I'm 47 (hard paper round alright <_< ) and the Mrs is 45 so I ' spose part of my concern is that I'm too young to go on a cruise :yp: I remember feeling like this, quite a few years ago when I started listening to radio 2, and more recently radio 4 :oops: Is it a slipery slope to crown green bowling, crimplene slacks and drinking mild? :hmm:

Nah - I get wasted on cocktails now, less volume/trips to the loo - more sillyness :yes: ! Most of the older set are like us - jeans/shorts in the day, hairy walking boots and a scruffy back pack when out on the sightseeing tours. Yes, there are a few snobs etc,like anywhere, but nowhere near as sad as falling over fighting drunks and puddles of vom, like you do in some of the med resorts- we have met some really nice people on board. I personally prefer Celebrity cruises - yes they are a Yank line, but the food is really good and service etc is second-to-none (and cheap, if the pound is strong against the dollar), because the Americans will not stand for some of the dreadful service that we brits will. Having said that, we have never had a bad cruise, each cruise line has it's own particular ways. We have had some really bad weather though, if you are unlucky, don't let it put you off.

Some cruise ships have a clay shoot on board,It's also possible to hire a car in resort. For people that are retired it is still possible to book the cargo ships and banana boats where you can be away for three months but you do have to be flexable with dates as you are more a by product to the dictates of the cargo, on these types of ships you get to eat every night with the officers and it is normally quite entertaining. If you can't get away for that long, i would reccomend the Hurtigruten, ( The Norwegian Coastal Voyage) 12 days on some lovely ships that sail out of Bergen every day of the year hugging the coast and picking kids up to take them to school at the next port of call they stop at several ports every day and there are various trips inland like the artic circle etc.They eventually turn round at Kirkenes which is on the Russian border. These are not cruise ships but working ships and are alot more interesting than going on cruises, on some of them you can even hire the owners suites.On the cruise ship you have booked i'm sure you will find it has plenty of things to offer with lots of entertainment, if thats your bag, and all the comforts of home. I have only added this post as i know lots of guys don't like the regimented side of things and just pointing out afew differant things for those who like me don't conform to type. from Auntie.

If you can't get away for that long, i would reccomend the Hurtigruten, ( The Norwegian Coastal Voyage) 12 days on some lovely ships that sail out of Bergen every day of the year hugging the coast and picking kids up to take them to school at the next port of call they stop at several ports every day and there are various trips inland like the artic circle etc.They eventually turn round at Kirkenes which is on the Russian border. These are not cruise ships but working ships and are alot more interesting than going on cruises, on some of them you can even hire the owners suites. I have only added this post as i know lots of guys don't like the regimented side of things and just pointing out a few differant things for those who like me don't conform to type. from Auntie.

I agree with Auntie - a great journey and some absolutely stunning views! Travelled up there recently - the Norway coastline is amazing and the people are so friendly.

We are both in our mid 30's and go every Easter mostly round the Caribbean. Been going for the past 7 years.

I have to say, never seen a blue rinse, and most people are of the younger fitter age.

In my view, far better value than 2 weeks on one resort on one island.

BUT it is important which cruise line you pick, they range from 18-30 CHAV style, smart night is a clean vest to Full on Dinner suits and ball gowns, even for swimming.

Best mix of all is Princess Cruises :good:

Edit to say, I would never sail from Southampton to the Med, due to the "Benidorm" croud! :no: Have a read of the reviews!

Who are you sailing with/which ship?

Edited by V8landy

Cunard, Queen Victoria

Thats a proper cruise, no tattoos and excellent staff.The food will be superb and the ambiance second to none, but crossing the bay to get into the med could be an experiance. I didnt realise that staberlisers can't be used if its really rough as they snap off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Seriously Cunard is still one of the traditionally liner type of cruises and your holiday will be made to feel special. Enjoy. The best "cruise" i ever went on , and i've been on lots, was on the Delta Queen the oldest authentic overnight paddleboat steamer in the world. The engines were built on the Clyde and it was used as a troup ship in the 2nd world war.It had a steam caliopi (organ) and we sailed down the Cumberland, Ohio , Tennysee and Mississippi river from Nashville to Memphis with coloured bubbles coming from the steam organ pipes.All the crew were coloured and took great delight in looking after me when i asked them to take me to a real blues club in Memphis where i was the only limey on the premises. A truely memorable trip from start to finish. from Auntie. :yes:

Thats a proper cruise, no tattoos and excellent staff.The food will be superb and the ambiance second to none, but crossing the bay to get into the med could be an experiance. I didnt realise that staberlisers can't be used if its really rough as they snap off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Seriously Cunard is still one of the traditionally liner type of cruises and your holiday will be made to feel special. Enjoy. The best "cruise" i ever went on , and i've been on lots, was on the Delta Queen the oldest authentic overnight paddleboat steamer in the world. The engines were built on the Clyde and it was used as a troup ship in the 2nd world war.It had a steam caliopi (organ) and we sailed down the Cumberland, Ohio , Tennysee and Mississippi river from Nashville to Memphis with coloured bubbles coming from the steam organ pipes.All the crew were coloured and took great delight in looking after me when i asked them to take me to a real blues club in Memphis where i was the only limey on the premises. A truely memorable trip from start to finish. from Auntie. :yes:

Cheers, I am looking forward to it, its just not something I imagined myself doing for a few years yet! I look forward to reporting back on what a brill time I had :D