Hot barrels!

cabbaged

I had a heck of a day today on some laid wheat. I hate shooting over standing cereals at the best of times but the farmer was desperate for me to keep the birds off his crops, so off we went. I set the rotary up with a handful of shell decoys and a bouncer nearby and was ready to go by 1pm. The birds just poured in, one pair after another. I had more right & lefts than I can remember and by 4.15pm I had used up all 175 cartridges and had shot 136 birds. It's the first time I've ever shot anything like this sort of number, thank heavens for semi-autos too!

Picking up was a complete nightmare though and the poor dog was exhausted. I ended up picking 91 birds from the field and despite trying our best I ended up having to leave the rest where ever they were. I can't stand leaving birds behind and I'm now more worried about what the farmer will think!

I had a heck of a day today on some laid wheat. I hate shooting over standing cereals at the best of times but the farmer was desperate for me to keep the birds off his crops, so off we went. I set the rotary up with a handful of shell decoys and a bouncer nearby and was ready to go by 1pm. The birds just poured in, one pair after another. I had more right & lefts than I can remember and by 4.15pm I had used up all 175 cartridges and had shot 136 birds. It's the first time I've ever shot anything like this sort of number, thank heavens for semi-autos too!

Picking up was a complete nightmare though and the poor dog was exhausted. I ended up picking 91 birds from the field and despite trying our best I ended up having to leave the rest where ever they were. I can't stand leaving birds behind and I'm now more worried about what the farmer will think!

Well done mate, i wish have that luke. :good:

A good day indeed , but I make that 45 you did not pick up which is not good ,the key to shooting in standing crops is to try and only shoot ones that you stand a decent chance of picking ie over the laid area it takes a lot of self control though ,on the plus side I dont think the farmer will mind much and in this weather there will be little left of them in 2 or 3 days.

Fenboy - Yes I totally agree. I hate not picking birds and there was a lot not picked. I'll have to tell the farmer today and just hope he's ok about it. Hopefully between the foxes and maggots there won't be much left by the time they cut the crop.

Fenboy - Yes I totally agree. I hate not picking birds and there was a lot not picked. I'll have to tell the farmer today and just hope he's ok about it. Hopefully between the foxes and maggots there won't be much left by the time they cut the crop.

don't worry about it at all, the farmer got what he wanted and you had a good days sport. You can't always drop them where you can pick them and the dog can end up doing more damage than the pigeons. Whats left will just show the farmer you did a decent job, I'm yet to meet a farmer who in those situations would worry, they are more bothered about the amount of wheat being lost to them

sounds like you had a cracking days sport and I cant imagine the farmer will mind a couple of dead pigeons going throught his combine, a couple of days ago the farmer whos land I shoot on proudly told me that when he harvested the barley a lazy fox didnt get out of the way quick enough and went through the combine!