postponing bitches season

darren m

There are two options:

Delvosteron injection, but this has just shot up in price. Previously vets had 28 days to get the product used from when they opened a vial, now we have to throw away what is left. By forcing vets to sell you a whole bottle expect this to be a very dear option. I forcast the product will be off the market soon!

Ovarid tablets. More economical than the injection.

Don't suppress before the first season. Once a dog has been injected it can take a highly variable time for them to come back into season, from 3 months up to over a year. It MAY increase the bitch's chances of getting a pyometra (womb infection).

If you don't intend to breed from the dog get her spayed.

There are two options:

Delvosteron injection, but this has just shot up in price. Previously vets had 28 days to get the product used from when they opened a vial, now we have to throw away what is left. By forcing vets to sell you a whole bottle expect this to be a very dear option. I forcast the product will be off the market soon!

Don't suppress before the first season. Once a dog has been injected it can take a highly variable time for them to come back into season, from 3 months up to over a year. It MAY increase the bitch's chances of getting a pyometra (womb infection).If you don't intend to breed from the dog get her spayed.

Very valid point, was told this by my vet and unfortunately she developed a pyometra the following year after having this jab, (only ever had it done once as she came into season as we were about to go on hols). We had intended to get her spayed but waited too long, she was fine as it was dianosed in good time but our older dog very nearly died from the same complaint (not related to having this injection) it's a horrible thing.

There are two options:

Don't suppress before the first season. Once a dog has been injected it can take a highly variable time for them to come back into season, from 3 months up to over a year. It MAY increase the bitch's chances of getting a pyometra (womb infection).

If you don't intend to breed from the dog get her spayed.

thanks for replys

Apache -- so are you saying the tablets are safer.or are there still risks

i dont know if i want to breed from her or not yet , i,d like to see how she works this year.

she'll be 3 in october and will come into season right in the middle of the game season , but i need her for beating 2 or 3 times a week you see , so not sure whats best to do.

certainly dont want to put her health at risk .

her last season was very strong and she lost a bit of condition , then after she had a little phantom and a little milk came in ( but not as much as usual ).

i dread the thought of her putting weight on and getting a thick wire coat if spayed

but

then i dread even more the tought that she could get pyrometra. saying that all the bitches i know of are all entire and non have had womb troubles.

any ideas what the chances are percentage wise , is it anything to do with lifestyle or breeding

thanks again

thanks for replys

i dont know if i want to breed from her or not yet , i,d like to see how she works this year.

she'll be 3 in october and will come into season right in the middle of the game season , but i need her for beating 2 or 3 times a week you see , so not sure whats best to do.

certainly dont want to put her health at risk .

her last season was very strong and she lost a bit of condition , then after she had a little phantom and a little milk came in ( but not as much as usual ).

i dread the thought of her putting weight on and getting a thick wire coat if spayed

but

then i dread even more the tought that she could get pyrometra. saying that all the bitches i know of are all entire and non have had womb troubles.

any ideas what the chances are percentage wise , is it anything to do with lifestyle or breeding

thanks again

Leave her at home for 3 weeks and take your stick - better than risking her health.

Mike

I would say the risk was the same, both are powerful hormone treatments.

A large Scandinavian study found 1/3 of entire bitches went down with the condition. Having a litter of puppies is strongly protective, but it's not a good reason to breed them and I have seen pyo's in bitches that have had puppies.

If you don't want to breed, get her spayed. Best for her health in all ways! (it was the first ting I did when we got our dog, and put a microchip in too!)

If you're worried about your bitch getting fat and loosing condition, don't be. My mate spayed his bitch 2 years ago as he didn't want her breeding, she is in great condition now and still as keen as ever! I'm for taking a litter from mine next year and then she's getting done!

I had my springer spayed after a litter of 13, which we keeped one.

After 6 months her coat went curly & very woolley. Needs constant attention so she doesn't look like a woolly sheep dog also cut her food back to control weight when not working.

Had the daughter spayed about a year ago as we did not want 4 dogs & she went the seam. Totally ruined there coats but will not have probs later with pyometra etc. :good:

fenmen99