Gaining experience

Gnome of the Woods

Just putting in my FAC application but would like to gain more experience before my visit.

I have been out a few times with a friend but feel it would enhance my application if I had been out and used different calibres in different situations.

Would it make a difference?

Is it considered not the done thing to ask?

All advice appreciated.

Paul

Edited by Gnome of the Woods

Paul,i got my fac for .22lr and .223 with very little real experience,was the best shot with army cadets and used to go out with mates rimmies a lot,other than that it was just general shooting with shotguns and air rifles,had a real need for the rifles as i control vermin on several farms.

What rifles have you asked for :hmm:

atb,Karl

I was asked what experience I had with 'live' rifles, and to be honest if you don't have access to a buddy, how can you get experience?

I explained that I too was in the army cadets, but that was 20 years ago! And that I'd been shooting air for many, many years, that was all I could honestly say, I got granted with no issues at all.

I was told by my FEO that my firearms dept. would insist on a mentor unless I already had experience and a letter from someone saying so.

My FEO told me to get a letter from someone with an FAC for the calibers I was after (or similar to, .22 CF for example) saying I had experience.

i.e. I have been out shooting with allthegearandnoidea on numerous occasions and they have always been a safe and competant shot.

My feo said don't be specific and be vague then you're not lying as going out twice is numerous and shooting tin cans in the back garden with an air rifle is shooting! He didn't agree with all of the hurdles that his force were putting in the way and there is no requirement in law to have any previous experience or require a mentor but getting a letter let the firearms dept. tick that box.

The more experience you have the better but there is no requirement to have any unless your force insist on it.

If you want to shoot several calibres, accompanied by a glowing letter from me, just let me know when you're next down St Albans way.

Alternatively, I'll happily drive up and you can shoot on your land. I've got loads of .270 rounds I want to get rid of.

Herts police love a letter to go with an application and they're usually pretty keen to see that someone is proactive and able to show that they've handled rifles in the past.

Edited by Billy.