Solar panels - small ones

DSPUK

If I bought a small solar panel - about size of those on poles at side of roads - do they just have a pair of wires as output or two terminals and then you can connect some LED's to it - or is it a bit more complicated.- do they just charge a battery and you connect from that.

Dave

If I bought a small solar panel - about size of those on poles at side of roads - do they just have a pair of wires as output or two terminals and then you can connect some LED's to it - or is it a bit more complicated.- do they just charge a battery and you connect from that.

Dave

Just out of interest and i hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you get it and how much was it - i've been thinking about getting one for the shed for some time now.

Cheers

AB

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-4.8w-battery-charger-115194

Dont know if it will charge a lamp battery in one day though

I think it only puts out 0.35 amp hour in good sun light

I bought a pair of their smaller ones some time ago. Don't know if they've improved but the ones I have are about as much use as two men missing! Won't even keep a car battery topped up, let alone recharge it.

Blackla

I haven't bought one yet - just thinking about it - I did a google on it and they do seem quite easy - you do need a charging regulater or something and diode to stop it discharging battery at night - seems straight forward - Price for a good single panel is a lot (for me anyway) then you need bit's and just depending how technical you want to get depends on price. -- These shown were just to charge 4 AA batteries - if you want to charge 12v the price rises.

Dave

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-4.8w-battery-charger-115194

Dont know if it will charge a lamp battery in one day though

I think it only puts out 0.35 amp hour in good sun light

mfletch, this one can't be left out permanently.

DSPUK It would just be easier than going out to feed/sort the dogs in the winter and finding the battery in the clip on light i use dead! Not being over au fait with electrickery i think i might have a word with a local tame sparky to see what he thinks!

How did you fix a puncture with a wind up torch? :lol:

I've got a briefcase solar panel, had it years, it easily gives 14 volts charge, had it over 29 volts in the sun! Got a regulator so it won't overcharge or discharge, I power 3 20watt halogen lamps in my shed, and 12 small garden lights via 3 car batteries which I rotate so they are all charged :good:

Looking at getting LED lamps so that the batteries will last longer, before winter!

I use a cell about a foot square to top up my electric fence on the pen.. you NEED some form of 'control' .. I have used this one for 5 years with no problems = http://www.selectronic.fr/article.asp?article_ref_entier=11.1420-9999

you will see that it has inputs for 2 12v solar cells - to charge a car battery you really need 15+ volts - that is a VERY bright sunny day - and you've missed it for this year :lol:

you will notice ; if you search the site - that a 12volt 60watt solar cell costs 490,00 € :o that's a dim headlamp bulb <_<

you will NEVER get your money back !! only a 'helping hand' to keep your battery topped up >> buying a second battery and swapping them over is a far better bet, "like wat I do", with my lowish cost cell the battery last about 8 weeks.

( PS - the Maplin ones are short lived :blush: )