rifle scope wanted at least 50mm

johnnythefox70

Yep, every shooter has at some point tried to find a scope of S&B / Swaro quality, but for less money, and the long and short is that it can't be done.

I have heard people suggest some scopes as being nearly as good as and S&B / Swaro... but based on what criteria? The eye relief is nearly as good, the quality of the optics is nearly as good or the low light capability of the scope is nearly as good or the build quality and durability is nearly as good? Indeed, what is actually being talked about is a scope that is not "nearly" as good, but is simply inferior.

I've never got on with Zeiss - I had a top of the range zoomy x56 job and the eye relief was awful.

Each to their own.

Mind you, I've never had a bad S&B or Swaro...

If you can't make your mind up and don't want to bust the bank, get an S&B 8x56. It will do everything and if you get bored you will sell it and get your money back.

If you know you want zoomy, just suck it up and get an S&B or Swaro. Be realistic, as too how much "zoom" you really want and need. Everyone thinks they need at least x16 but ends up winding it down and sticking it on x6 or x8 for 95% of the time (unless you are a target monkey).

If I were you, get a tidy 2nd hand 3-12x56 S&B or Swaro; keep an eye on the forums, have cash waiting and don't get stung / turned over in the process.

350yards with an 8x56... that's either a porky or you have very small feet. :lol:

I've owned an 8x56 Swarovski, and whilst it was great for normal foxing ranges there is simply no way you can ID foxes at that range in low light conditions.

IMHO A decent Euro variable is essential for serious fox control.