Trying to find article

Glensman

Hi guy,

Trying to find either the thread or article...

A pigeon shooter was shooting close to the road, back to the road. Female police officer walks up behind him. Arrests him, confiscates guns.

Courts find in shooters favour.

It was an active discussion 1-2 years ago but I can't find the thread or article :blush:

Cheers,

Dan

did you get pulled?

No but there was a debate about it on an Irish forum.

The law on hunting from the road derives from some 1890's English law that was never repeeled nor codified in Ireland.

I mentioned to one of the mods about this case, but needed to find the article.

Although, Me and Ollie did get pulled around february and I quoted the case and basically told the copper to do one... He tried to do us for shooting by the road, we had been hundreds of yards away- they just happened to drive by when we were putting the rifles back in the jeep (beside the road). :rolleyes:

Interesting, I thought the rules said you couldn't shoot within 50ft of a highway full stop.

Mr Barnard’s lawyer, Stephen Ede of Bridge McFarland Solicitors said: “After refusing to accept a caution, Mr Barnard was summonsed for an offence contrary to the 1980 Highways Act, which prohibits shooting within 50ft of a road. However, the act makes it clear that an offence is only committed if someone is injured, interrupted or put in danger and that did not happen in this case.”

Dr W, possibly you have not read your own quote properly.

It is the bit about putting others in danger, interrupting or injuring someone that is important. You can shoot from wherever you want if none of the above applies.

I do it quite a bit, I have to or I would hardly shoot anything on one of my permissions.

GH

Dr W, possibly you have not read your own quote properly.

It is the bit about putting others in danger, interrupting or injuring someone that is important. You can shoot from wherever you want if none of the above applies.

I do it quite a bit, I have to or I would hardly shoot anything on one of my permissions.

GH

No confusion, the quote is from the website which is stating you can shoot from within 50ft if conditions apply, I was saying that I was surprised to read that because I had always (mistakenly) thought you couldn't.

I guess the problem is proving or defining "interrupted or put in danger" to the police or in a court of law.

Edited by Dr W

This might help regarding highways, it's straight from the Home Office Firearms Law Guidance to the Police (its the 2002 version)

Highways Act 1980

22.17 Under section 161 of the Highways Act 1980, it is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or excuse, to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any highway which comprises a carriageway, if in consequence, any user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered. For these purposes a carriageway means a highway (other than a cycle track) over which the

public have a right of way for the passage of vehicles. The Highways Act does not apply in Scotland but Procurators Fiscal may use

common law offences of “culpable and reckless conduct” and “reckless endangerment” in situations in which the 1980 Act would be contravened in England and Wales.