can you help me

young airgunner

hi there, im new to air gunning and have just brought a cheap rifle to shoot away with. the rifle i have is a b3-f. when i have been shooting it, it doesnt seem to b as powerful as others have said and people say it can take out piegeons but im not to sure. any help would be great, cheers james

hello and welcome,

im sitting looking at the exact same type of airgun as a freind of mine has just dropped it off for me to set the sights, to be honest with you i dont think it would be accurate enough to kill a pigeon as you really need to make sure your going to be able to hit it in the head for a clean kill and these guns although quite powerful for a "fun gun" are certainly not up to the job of hunting and would probably just wound the birds. i would suggest you use it mainly for target practice and getting a good technique sorted until you can get a gun better suited to hunting.

I dont reccomend doing it BUT when i first started i had the exact same gun in .22 i found it plenty accurate out to 20 yards and took a fair few bunnies and pigeons with it. As a starter gun i think its ok you will soon upgrade though mate to a decent springer like a weirauch or bsa. :P

Get plenty of practice in with the B3 till you can save enough for one thats a tad better :good:

B3 good enough for garden plinking and close range target work etc.

As someone stated on a recent post the best thing to do is set targets out at 5 yard intervals

10 yards 15 yards 20 yards 25 yards and so on

Take a few shots at each target and find where the rifle starts to lose its consistency to group within a size of a 50p piece

If this is your FIRST gun then you will ALSO need to get a propper feel for it as PCP and Springers are from entirely different stables

A spring gun is Lively it will jump when fired etc and as such you need to hold the gun EXACTLY the sae way (grip pressure etc) for every shot to get consistant hits.

Sounds hard but it comes with time and practice :good:

PCP well ANY person can hit a bulls eye with a good PCP it isn't hard (unless you have Parkinsons :good: )

Saying that my old man has it and he STILL manages to get bulls eyes ;)

Just enjoy your B3 and don't worry if it's not what you expected it's only your first step.

And it's good that you queried your thoughts with the group before shooting Pigeons as it shows you have an ADMIRABLE respect for your quarry

Well done :good:

LG

hey what u really want is a rabbit stopper froget the gun u got at the moment just got one of them they only cost 140pounds in our local shooting shop and they r co2 very powerfull and accurate no kick the best pellets to use for them by the way is superdome :good:

2nd one down on that link it is

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

acually dude, i know 3 people that have them and they wouldnt reccomend them at all. If you were to do what Hunter did and to get custom parts and clean it all up. Then it was made into a good rifle. I have heard that they are sold for £30 in america new! which is about right not the £120 they are in this country. Dont buy one. Get something good secondhand like a BSA or Webley!

acually dude, i know 3 people that have them and they wouldnt reccomend them at all. If you were to do what Hunter did and to get custom parts and clean it all up. Then it was made into a good rifle. I have heard that they are sold for £30 in america new! which is about right not the £120 they are in this country. Dont buy one. Get something good secondhand like a BSA or Webley!

Well saidsound advice not a great rifle and your best to learn your skills on a springer, :good:

thanks alot for the advice guys, my friend has offered to sell me his .177 that he uses for hunting, it has just had a new spring put in it and i feel it will be a safe buy to try it out instead of blowing my money on a brand new rifle.

also could any1 give me any pointers on hunting quarry, thanks james

thanks alot for the advice guys, my friend has offered to sell me his .177 that he uses for hunting, it has just had a new spring put in it and i feel it will be a safe buy to try it out instead of blowing my money on a brand new rifle.

do you know what make/model it is? if you dont find out first! and post what it is or pm me with the details. i'll say wether it is worth getting if you pm me

do you know what make/model it is? if you dont find out first! and post what it is or pm me with the details. i'll say wether it is worth getting if you pm me

hey no keeping secrets, we wanna know what it is aswell :good:

With NO disrespect toward your friend SELLING the gun but you mention NEW spring fitted!!!

Has it been put over a Chrono when it was fitted? I think you will need to check it as unfortunatley ignorance is no defence against a firearms offence which is what will happen if it is over the LEGAL 12fpe!!

Just a thought.

I guess it all boils down to what you can afford but as some have said for NOW perhaps look at something second hand from BSA or Weirach - Webley - Falcon

There is plenty options open in the SH market but i PERSONALLY would stay clear of Co2 for a hunting gun as they are inconsistant depending on relative heat

LG

Are you insinuating my Geography skills are degenerative? ;)

Of COURSE i know where Hexham is i go there often enough :lol:

As for shooting there i DID try a guy there just at the bridge just west of Hexham on the A69 and he was a very obnoxious old *** rattling on about tresspass when i was on a CLEARLY marked public footpath.

Hence i never asked him for shooting permission as his whole attitude to other people stunk :good:

Though the A69 seems to get s good healthy amount of woodies every year in the fields just adjacent

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

lol wasnt insulting your geographic skills, just curious. so you do not know of any shoots that take place in or around hexham.

thats fine, was just a thought, thanks for your help. cheers james

What kind of shooting? Air rifle range? if so whats wrong with your back garden?