barrel shortening

smcgreg1

I have a Benelli Supernova but would like to shorten the barrel. What are my options? I wonder how easy it is to shoren barrels when they have a rib and if it is possible how much it would cost. The other option I am thinking about would be to get a new barrel that is shorter. Can you buy just a barrel on its own? Would it need to go on my certificate?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

Yes you can shorten a barrel but the law requires that it be no less than 24" long to remain on a SGC.

The obvious question is,why? After cutting you will have a barrel that is choked at cylinder and will have altered handling characteristics.

You can buy a barrel on its own but you may be surprised at the cost of a new one and you may not be able to get one that's any shorter than the one you already have.The question as to whether it needs to go on your certificate is best answered by your firearms department.

Assuming we are talking about a single barrel from a semi-auto the actual cutting of a barrel is easy.You need a good,sharp,fine tooth hacksaw blade and frame and cut it off level with the front of a rib support.Just remember that when you have done it you have drastically lowered the value of the gun and there is no turning back.

Think long and hard before you even consider it!!

Vic.

Yes you can shorten a barrel but the law requires that it be no less than 24" long to remain on a SGC.

The obvious question is,why? After cutting you will have a barrel that is choked at cylinder and will have altered handling characteristics.

You can buy a barrel on its own but you may be surprised at the cost of a new one and you may not be able to get one that's any shorter than the one you already have.The question as to whether it needs to go on your certificate is best answered by your firearms department.

Assuming we are talking about a single barrel from a semi-auto the actual cutting of a barrel is easy.You need a good,sharp,fine tooth hacksaw blade and frame and cut it off level with the front of a rib support.Just remember that when you have done it you have drastically lowered the value of the gun and there is no turning back.

Think long and hard before you even consider it!!

Vic.

Totally agree with VicW.

Also -

Would it not have to be re-proofed as well ?

Thanks everyone for your advice. Spoken to the dealer today and gone with the option of buying a new barrel. It's was very expensive compared to the total cost of the gun new.

Perhaps better to sell your gun and buy one with a shorter barrel. Or, if you prefer, buy a gun with a shorter barrel, swap barrels, sell it.

Edited by Catweazle