HW45 tips!

Underdog

Folks, I recently got a HW45 air pistol and to be honest I am really struggling to shoot it consistantly good!

I have even added lead shot to the grip frame to aid recoil dampening!

I have since also realised that it does not like shooting loser fitting pellets, tight ones do much better.

Is there any HW45 shooters here?

In 177 what does yours prefere?

Mine likes Accupells, Bisley super field and Milbro caladonian. I have small choice how ever slack match pellets and JSP oh and Super domes to some measure it does not do so well.

I wondered how something heavy would do!

Underdog.

I've got one in .177, I must say that I am not overly impressed with the tru-glo sights but apart from that it does the job of shooting cans at 25-30m. Mine work well with JSB Express. Regarding the recoil I barely notice it but then growing up the my fathers hand guns were a Colt 45 Gold Cup and Smith & Wesson K38 special.

Work on a consistent hold, don't try to counter the recoil, let the pistol bounce in your hand, also figure out a way in which you hold the gun and pull the trigger so that it does not skew off to one side.

Sorry if that's newby info for you.

No probs Polish, I have tried all sorts of holds. I have found holding quite tight does better for me I will try what you sat again.

U.

I've got one in .177, I must say that I am not overly impressed with the tru-glo sights but apart from that it does the job of shooting cans at 25-30m. Mine work well with JSB Express. Regarding the recoil I barely notice it but then growing up the my fathers hand guns were a Colt 45 Gold Cup and Smith & Wesson K38 special.

Yes, I know what you mean, I would prefere matt black sights.

I would struggle to hit a can at 30m, maybe one in five at the moment!

Recoil is not an issue apart from the fact this is an airgun and not a real gun! I miss the 357 and 44M myself.

Shame all the handgunners had not buried them instead of mutely just handing them over! :no: Nation of sheep! That of course is just my opinion of which it was recomended I keep my opinions to myself on here which I find odd considering this is supposed to be a free speech land if nothing else!

Rant over, now try a looser hold,,,,,

U.

Best of luck there Underdog, I know that with any pistol I fire, I hold it reasonably loosely in my right hand and support by cupping the base of the grips and my palm with my left hand, I always hold at arms length . Then using the tip of my trigger finger gently squeeze through the action pulling straight back, even following through till just after the shot has hit the target, I practice the pulls even without a loaded gun to watch the end of the pistol move and understand where I'm going wrong. If I hold tight and rush the shot, the consistency is all over the shop.

It may sound odd but stance can come into play too. I'm right handed and footed, so my right foot(forward) points at the target and left foot at a 90 degree angle, I also bend my left leg slightly.

Would love to watch you following my steps and mimicking my stance... :P

30m with a pistol, to hit a can every time would be a good shot in my opinion :)

Best of luck there Underdog, I know that with any pistol I fire, I hold it reasonably loosely in my right hand and support by cupping the base of the grips and my palm with my left hand, I always hold at arms length . Then using the tip of my trigger finger gently squeeze through the action pulling straight back, even following through till just after the shot has hit the target, I practice the pulls even without a loaded gun to watch the end of the pistol move and understand where I'm going wrong. If I hold tight and rush the shot, the consistency is all over the shop.

It may sound odd but stance can come into play too. I'm right handed and footed, so my right foot(forward) points at the target and left foot at a 90 degree angle, I also bend my left leg slightly.

Would love to watch you following my steps and mimicking my stance... :P

30m with a pistol, to hit a can every time would be a good shot in my opinion :)

Cheers Polish.

I tried a loose grip but did not do as well but now have more to try from your above post, thanks.

I think more is going on than just shooting methods, I have found that the breech seal is leaking! I am sure it is making things less consistant! There is a tell tale witness mark from gas leaking pretty much all around the barrel shroud. The design is poop IMO and packing the O-ring with thin cotton cloth tonight produced more vel.

A plink tomorrow will I hope show an improvement in how the gun behaves and then I can concentrate on blaming my self :good:

It is a shame they had not angled the breech and barrel junction instead of the barrel wanting to shear the O-ring all the time unless the O-ring is seated that deep it is almost useless!

Thanks.

U.

Oh no! O ring problems are never good. Let's hope you don't end up with a special cushion to sit on :P

Best of luck fixing the issue. If you are having such troubles, when was the last time the barrel got a good clean? Also choose pellets that the pistol works with and stick with them, leading really seems to affect air guns and their accuracy.

I'm off to purchase a new rifle scope tomorrow... excited!

• 11 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...