Terretorial Pheasants

ollie

Just thought I would put up a post to let you guys know about a particular Pheasant poult that we have in our pen that keeps attacking me :lol: .

As soon as I enter the pen this bird follows me around and even when I am on the outside it follows me. It makes a strange clucking noise and pecks my hand if I put it out. Also today I stooped down to its level and it stood up and put its wings out as if it wanted a fight :lol: .

Have any of you guys ever noticed anything like this in a Pheasant poult. I must say it is a first for me.

I've not seen this in a pheasant poult but do know of a mature cock pheasant that would attack people. He took a real dislike to a retired farm worker who lived on the estate, he'd follow him between his house and allotment/garage etc and they would spar.

Then came the day the guy stepped out of his back door one morning and said pheasant flew down from the top of his single storey kitchen roof spurring him down the side of the face in the process, didn't miss his eye by a lot either!

So marked the end for that particular pheasant. :yes:

Not that I'm saying your fella is going to turn out like this one, but watch your back :look:

Yes, it's very common.

Every year we have a few that do exactly that or follow the vehicle round the fields/tracks and even visitors vehicles when they come into the yard. They usually meet their end when they get to close to the wheels !!.

What he says. We seem to get one in most rearing pens each year - sometimes aggression but often flirtiness. seems to kick in about a month old, and come shutting in time its recognizably the same bird in each pen. hens will run around in short bursts, almost dancing, and cocks will square up to you. usually fades with age, but some Cocks just get worse and get nasty.

It may have got imprinted on the operater at the hatchery and is confused as to who you are and its relationship with you.

In the wild it would imprint on its mother follow her around and learn feeding and other behaviours from her.

Maybe your parenting skills are lacking 80))

Since their early months are in an artificial environment, you can expect a percentage to grow up a bit loopy!