Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle in 223

killer_pigeon

got a shooting buddy looking at getting one of these in 20" heavy barrel mainly for use for paper targets and some vermin clearance. Hogue synthetic stock, 1:9 barrel.

He's not really a target shooter and hitting a 2" wide bull at 100 yards he considers ok. No clover leafing required.

He just wants a reasonable price, rough and ready rifle, to use Nato surplus 5.56 ammo in it, so no reloading or competitive shooting required.

All I know is that you can get loads of custom bits for Remmy 700's and thats it, more of a Sako\Tikka man myself.

any advice would be most appreciated :good:

thanks

i have one in .308 when i got it it wasnt great inch groups at 100 yards but i had a mcmillan a5 stock fitted and now it shoots fantastic no its not a high end target rifle but for the money you cant beat it just let down by the stock but a good platform rifle that you can improve on when you have the funds!

got a shooting buddy looking at getting one of these in 20" heavy barrel mainly for use for paper targets and some vermin clearance. Hogue synthetic stock, 1:9 barrel.

He's not really a target shooter and hitting a 2" wide bull at 100 yards he considers ok. No clover leafing required.

He just wants a reasonable price, rough and ready rifle, to use Nato surplus 5.56 ammo in it, so no reloading or competitive shooting required.

All I know is that you can get loads of custom bits for Remmy 700's and thats it, more of a Sako\Tikka man myself.

any advice would be most appreciated :good:

thanks

MY first advice would be to feed it what it says, if it is stamped .223 feed it .223, if it is stamped 5.56 feed it 5.56. They are NOT the same and I have yet to see any rifle stamped .223 or 5.56!

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/17856-223-and-military-ammunitionthe-risks/

The rifle is a lump and FAR to heavy for me, I have used one in .223 and seen it at work many times in the hands of the owner, it shot well and accurately, and did whatever you asked of it, but that was with .223 ammo!

ATB!