Dominant behaviour from bitch - whilst out off the lead

Catweazle

My Doberman bitch has started showing dominant behaviour to other dogs whilst on the daily walk over the fields. She hasn't bitten anything, but has rolled a few dogs over by pushing them with her front paws and growled at them.

Our male Doberman, who is much bigger, has never done this and is in fact a favourite with many dog owners because of his soppy nature. Puppy owners have sought him out because of his gentle giant reputation. We treat them the same.

There doesn't seem to be much pattern in which dogs she does it to, collies to GSD, but no problems with small dogs so far. We keep her away from other dogs as much as possible now, but sometimes dogs just run over to us and that's when she sees them off.

In all other ways she is well behaved, intelligent, obedient, clean. It's just this dominance thing, if that's what it is, that worries me. I want to nip it in the bud early.

Possibly related, she has had 3 phantom pregnancies in last 3 seasons, produced milk each time and started nesting and adopting soft toys and placing them against her teats.

Thanks.

Ahh, nutty females and thier hormones :rolleyes: Dont avoid the situation though train for it :good: Difficult to say how as you need to get a close handle on it, cant be done on a forum. Best thing is get a proper qualified behavourist on the job there is sure to be one local. It could be pure desire to dominate or something else your just missing, get it wrong and you might make matters worse or harder to cure