My first crayfish jaunt

otherwayup

Well we met up, enjoyed each others company and whats more caught a lot of Crayfish :yes: , after 1 hour we had 100, and they just kept on coming :thumbs: .

My estimate would be 180/200 after 2 hours :good: , when we packed up said goodbye and went home.

The interesting thing is that, there are a lot about so late into the year, perhaps the water has stayed warmer, secondly the size ??? , we pulled out some monster crayfish today :good: .

I hope Ron and Steve who shared the catch measure the largest they each have.

Some of the claws were truly magnificent, and will produce a lot of tasty meat.

I await the final count and resulting menu options. :lol::lol:

Edited by bakerboy

Had a great day,huge thanks to Terry for the use of his gear and advice even the dodgy bailiff ended up being ok !!!

I took home 72 spoke to stubby he had 122 so the total is 194 in about 1 1/2 hours.

I took mine to work and the Chinese chefs are going to cook them tomorrow for me :D

Once again huge thanks to Terry for a great day out and great company :good:

Well done, fantastic catch result there! Mouth is watering at the sight of them.......

Bakerboy, how are you catching them? I have a few traps but only ever manage 1 or 2 :blush:

We just use drop nets, baited with old rabbit carcasses,fish heads, old meat balls and generally any old smelly food.

Thats all there is to it.

I suppose it is knowing the right spot to drop your nets, and that appears to be anywhere in the River Lee and New River, plus many other places around here. Dobbs weir is the next place to visit.

Just a few questions for the crayfish bunch.

I thought you should only go in summer, or is it still effective this time of year?

And am I correct in thinking you can legally trap them without a license as long as you don't leave the traps unattended, or is it you can only use lift nets without a license?

Well we surprised our selves on Saturday a fraction over 2 hours and we had 194.

Many of the Crayfish were large, as you can see from Stubby's video link on the other thread, and a good many had eggs on, which is good for Crayfish Caviar.