a big thank you to bakerboy

stubby

so after seeing all the posts on here lately concerning crayfish, and commenting on a post, terry aka bakerboy invited myself amd family along with ron (pw member) for a mornings instruction on how to become crayfish fishermen, we met up at the secret location at 10am and got stuck into baiting up the nets, terry had bought along 4 or 5 nets, including "the wheel of fortune" which was his brothers design, and I'd picked up a couple from my local tackle shop, baits consisted of meatbals, old trout heads and rabbit, we as a novice to this, I could'ent belive the speed that we were pulling them out, checking the nets every 10 minutes or so, within the first hour we had 100, and totalled 200 in 2hrs, it was a real pleasure to meet terry, and good that the kids enjoyed themselves so much without an xbox in sight

again, A BIG THANK YOU TO BAKERBOY :good::good::good:

pictures and video to follow

I nearly jumped into the canal and made for the otherside, when that dodgy looking geezer asked for our licenses :lol: thank god it was bakerboy's brother fooling around :D

after the first hour, we had this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOZWKIyHXFA&feature=youtu.be

Edited by stubby

the kids loved it too, our share of the haul (122) are now sitting in 3 large containers in the garage, purging on clean water overnight, boiling tomorrow :rolleyes:

CopyofIMAG0069.jpg

CopyofIMAG0067.jpg

CopyofIMAG0065.jpg

CopyofIMAG0070.jpg

my mrs cant wait to do some cooking with them

Edited by stubby

something I forgot to add, our max catch rate today per net was 7

my mrs found this very informative bit on crayfish, just click the link, notice how it shows how to make nets from cycle wheels, just like terry's bro, although it stated fish heads were best baits, we used this today, and I did'nt think much of it, rabbit bits seemed better, and lastly, it suggests wrapping caught crays in wet sacking, rather than buckets of water, keeping in wet sacks for upto 3 days before straight into the pot...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/gallery/2009/sep/30/george-monbiot-crayfish#/?picture=353517508&index=0

well after boiling our lot, we (me & son zac) sat there and shelled a good 80, gave the rest to a friend to try out, took us a fair while, but got there in the end, in the fridge now awaiting a dish to put them in, later in day, whilst washing one of the bikes, a fair size crayfish walked past :lol: must of got out in the garage last night before I put the lids on :blush:

IMAG0080.jpg

well after boiling our lot, we (me & son zac) sat there and shelled a good 80, gave the rest to a friend to try out, took us a fair while, but got there in the end, in the fridge now awaiting a dish to put them in, later in day, whilst washing one of the bikes, a fair size crayfish walked past :lol: must of got out in the garage last night before I put the lids on :blush:

IMAG0080.jpg

Don't they look prety in Pink!

enjoy your harvest.