Price for Disco repair

castletyne

All depends on which parts they are going to use. Will they use timken bearings and up-market UJ's or just the after market parts from say, Britparts?

Go to Paddocks or Craddocks web site and price the parts yourself. They are all online priced and delivered free.

Then you can work out how much the labour charges are. You decide if they are fair or not.

I think it would take a DIY mechanic about a day but maybe less for a pro garage with the lifts, access to specialst tools etc.

Thing about bearings is that is when you strip the hub off, you might have to change both bearings or just the outside one, and is the drum/disc knackered? each wheel being different. Then you might decide to change the brake shoes because you have it stripped down anyway. The prop is simple as. Probably an hours work. Then the question of whether or not to change the prop bolts for new ones? Will the pro garage say they have done them? Will they use the cheaper parts and charge you for the expensive ones? Will they use the old bolts and charge for new?

I am not saying that all garages are the take, but it's not unknown.

Just my take on it.

Older Land Rovers = simple mechanics = easy fix.

Please don't come back with "How dare you? I'm a mechanic and I'm honest" etc etc, like I say, it's my take on it.

LSC

Wheel bearing are around £40 per corner

Uj £15 each chuck a days labour and your price ain't bad . It's makes no sense only changing the outer bearings so check beforehand what exactly he is doing as has already been said could be worth putting a set of pads on too. Cost you more now but save you money in the long run