German Pointers

Dave410

I'd love for them to be able to retreive as im getting back into hunting, but mainly as a long walking companion and to get along with other dogs in the family

My thoughts are get a HPR only if you need one, for the above many other dogs suit the roll. My experiance is they need to do whats bred into them

I'd love for them to be able to retreive as im getting back into hunting, but mainly as a long walking companion and to get along with other dogs in the family

If you want a "long walking companion" or a " dog to be able to retreive " DONT GET A GSP. GSP,S are meant , as kent rightly has pointed out ,to do what they have been bread for.i.e hard working dogs either fur or feather.

As this is a Pigeon Shooting forum, then I would suggest that an HPR is not a suitable dog to sit in a hide while decoyed pigeons are being shot. HPR's such as GSP's and the other continental pointer-retrievers are born to hunt, so make a good rough shooters dog, provided you only shoot what the dog has pointed and flushed.

They will retrieve on command when trained, but their purpose is to hunt scarce game in open range or woodland.

Edited by Greymaster

I see you live in cheshire, if you want a GSP go for it.

you can train with NW section of GSP club, they meet 3rd sunday each month in various locations around the northwest.

next session is 20th November. let me know if you want to come along and meet a few GSP.

the club can offer grouse counting and often some work on the grouse moors, along with tests and trials there is plenty to keep you busy.

the dog could be trained to be a retriever but it is really a waste of its talents and much better if you can utilise all 3 Hunt point and retreive.

take a look at myfastforumhpr for loads of info and advice.

i run a HWV and a Lab

Jan

simply as a fun dog they are good but can be hard work, I've a GWP and she would do what you are after but then she is also a cracking beating dog. Not what they are meant for at all but she is surprisingly good at it with a lot of plus points over the conventional breeds. Rough shooting is fantastic with a decent one certainly I have the upper hand on our beaters days :D

Round the house they can be a lot better than some working breeds spaniels in particular, mine with a decent morning walk is happy to sleep the day away or do 8 hours beating whichever she isn't that fussed

simply as a fun dog they are good but can be hard work, I've a GWP and she would do what you are after but then she is also a cracking beating dog. Not what they are meant for at all but she is surprisingly good at it with a lot of plus points over the conventional breeds. Rough shooting is fantastic with a decent one certainly I have the upper hand on our beaters days :D

Round the house they can be a lot better than some working breeds spaniels in particular, mine with a decent morning walk is happy to sleep the day away or do 8 hours beating whichever she isn't that fussed

But sleeping 8hrs around the house is the exception rather than the rule, they are generally very high energy dogs that can be destructive if not given what they are bred for

that is entirely down to how you bring them up and train them and what you get them used to from an early age. Also a morning walk to some is 10 minutes mine gets close to an hour and a fair bit of that in a game rich area so is moving well. She will also sit on a back seat all night while sitting out or lamping just getting up when required. The most disturbing thing she does is snore now if anyone has a cure to that it would be greatfully received :lol:

that is entirely down to how you bring them up and train them and what you get them used to from an early age. Also a morning walk to some is 10 minutes mine gets close to an hour and a fair bit of that in a game rich area so is moving well. She will also sit on a back seat all night while sitting out or lamping just getting up when required. The most disturbing thing she does is snore now if anyone has a cure to that it would be greatfully received :lol:

No thats your experiance with a certain line, its realy not the norm for the breed

not quite true as they are fairly relaxed as a breed. Ok put them on game and it all changes but I know a few now that are fine kept inside. The same can be said for most breeds of gundog I certainly know far worse springers and labs that just won't relax.

But sleeping 8hrs around the house is the exception rather than the rule, they are generally very high energy dogs that can be destructive if not given what they are bred for

Not really, my GSP's are kenneled during the day and sleep for most of it. A good long walk morning and evening whilst not

actually out shooting and they're fine, never have ANY of my GSP's been destructive using this excercise regime.

If you think about it, for every 1 working GSP there will be at least 5 that are show/pet dogs, and I'll wager

that not all of them are destructive.......

Not really, my GSP's are kenneled during the day and sleep for most of it. A good long walk morning and evening whilst not

actually out shooting and they're fine, never have ANY of my GSP's been destructive using this excercise regime.

If you think about it, for every 1 working GSP there will be at least 5 that are show/pet dogs, and I'll wager

that not all of them are destructive.......

To be fair we were talking GWP. Show and work lines are quite different in most breeds. In GWP and no doubt in GSPs also you also get import and British lines, the imports are normally the highest energy type. To be fair a dog bred to run fast and far off and work all day is not generally gonna be a couch potato, to say you never get a bit of a dopey one would be crazy though. My old neighbour had a GSP that did a long distance run with the lady in the morn a 26 mile mountain bike run with the fella then was released into the gardens and ran laps