Hello from Kingston-upon-Thames

steved

Hello, I'm based in kingston-upon-thames. Just started to look into pigeon shooting (first post). Been on the clays for a few years (although lost a year sorting safe etc. when i moved here) and really interested in doing pigeon shooting now. I've yet to get a day but was interested if anyone had any comments about getting shooting. Is it hard to get in this part of the world, do i need a dog/understanding farmer/miracle. I've been doing some reading and think i need to do plenty more. I realise its going to be hard work but looking forward to it.

cheers

Hello, I'm based in kingston-upon-thames. Just started to look into pigeon shooting (first post). Been on the clays for a few years (although lost a year sorting safe etc. when i moved here) and really interested in doing pigeon shooting now. I've yet to get a day but was interested if anyone had any comments about getting shooting. Is it hard to get in this part of the world, do i need a dog/understanding farmer/miracle. I've been doing some reading and think i need to do plenty more. I realise its going to be hard work but looking forward to it.

cheers

Hello Steved If you are just starting out & want to get a feel for it then I think it may pay you to have a go with a pigeon guide if you cant get into small clan of shooters who can help you get started .

I grew up in the Thames valley area & even when I was starting out in the mid seventies it was so blooby hard to find contacts & farmers are notoriously cagey about letting you on for a bit of shooting .

You only have too read through some of the forums on here to see how hard it is for some !& some how I dont think you are going to get much pigeon shooting around Kingston Upon Thames!.

If you can get out on the M40 why not call into the Oxford gun co & see Doug & Shirley Florent as I think they have the name of a pigeon guide who operates in the bucks oxon area or have a go at clays there too its a great shop well worth a look if you are in that area .

Could be worth a try & dont worry to much about a dog at this stage as it will only complicate things a bit .

Good luck Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Thanks Pole Star, really appreciate your reply and will look in to your suggestions. Yeah, always knew that i wouldn't get much shooting here. The neighbours (and plod) would take a dim view of me blasting away in the back garden. I already drive out a bit to practice on clays. Oxon/bucks....no problem i drive out that way and to hants/sussex quite a lot for fishing (my other passion) so quite easy. Struggle to tear myself out of bed for work but jump out as if i'm on fire for shooting or fishing. Quite happy to drive for my hobbies.

Cheers again.

Steve